or Connect

Posts by baltmom

You've clearly found your calling. So happy for you! Also happy that you have found it within such a wonderful community.   Just as parents need to keep our own cups full to be present for our kids, so do teachers need to take care of themselves and recharge to be present for the kids they borrow  So think of the summer as part of your professional development, so you'll be that much more available for the kids in the fall    And I don't think you have to really...
Sorry to hear of others struggling too. Where we are now is Zyrtec and Singulair, plus Hyland's if he starts coughing. Plus Zaditor drops for his eyes. Windows closed (this won't last long, as it's going to get hot soon and we have no central AC). Hardly any playing outside, which is very sad. And he's still waking up for 3-4 hours most nights.   Justmama, I will say the Singulair really seems to help with the coughing, so I'm hoping the same for you. He's had...
My 3yo and I just came through this (sort of, see below), and I think my takeaway is that it's really, really kid-specific. My son wasn't "ready" in the sense of being interested in using the potty or being motivated by the idea of praise or being a big boy or any of that. He was extremely resistant to the idea of using the potty. But he was also getting more and more impatient with diaper changes, and more and more aware of being wet. So I took that to possibly mean...
I love the veggies + sound effects idea! I don't know if you guys do any dairy, but what has been amazingly successful for my mostly non-veggie eating boy is steamed broccoli mixed with olive oil and a tiny sprinkling of grated parmesan. It has become his go-to meal, as in "can I have broccoli for dinner?" and "more broccoli, please!" both phrases I never thought I'd hear. Who knows how long it will last, but just a thought, and one that could be tried with lots of other...
Thank you SO much, everyone. I had completely dismissed the idea of a sinus rinse for I'm sure the same reasons you laughed when your ped suggested it, but maybe we'll have to try it. He's a new 3, so maybe not quite ready now, but maybe introduce it now and he'll be more ready by the time fall allergies come around, or at least next spring?   A ped allergist may be the way to go. This got so much worse so quickly that I really first needed something immediate, just...
My son has always had mild-ish seasonal allergies, but this season is pretty horrible. Coughing that wakes him every night (and then he's up for at least 3 hours, so it's pretty disruptive to his whole day), and extremely itchy eyes, so much so that his rubbing broke the skin.   Last spring/summer/fall our ped wanted him on Claritin - I didn't like its effect on his personality - hard to pinpoint, but seemed to make him more on edge, less himself? So she suggested...
My son has always had mild-ish seasonal allergies, but this season is pretty horrible. Coughing that wakes him every night (and then he's up for at least 3 hours, so it's pretty disruptive to his whole day), and extremely itchy eyes, so much so that his rubbing broke the skin.   Last spring/summer/fall our ped wanted him on Claritin - I didn't like its effect on his personality - hard to pinpoint, but seemed to make him more on edge, less himself? So she suggested...
Expat, I think I said in another thread how similar our boys sound. Now I’m saying how similar you and I sound! The same worries and fears, questions, what-ifs, and guilt. I so wish we lived nearby so we could go to a playground together and feel not so alone J   One small question and one small thing to add –   When you use his repetitive play as a jumping-off point for more engaged and/or purposeful play as you described, do you consciously try to continue to...
I don’t have a lot of experience in this (my son just turned 3), but I wanted to chime in as you obviously are dealing with so much, and doing a wonderful job with a very challenging situation.   I second (third?) the suggestions to see a developmental pediatrician asap. Regular pediatricians sometimes – with good intentions – choose more of a wait and see approach, while dev ped’s will look at the whole picture and help identify a course of action to address your...
I often feel conflicted about labels too, but I've also found that as I've pursued support for my son, the labels really don't come into play very much. (This may change - he's only 3.) But when we visit our OT, we don't talk about SPD, we talk about helping him feel more confident using his body and switching activities. When we visit his developmental ped, we don't talk about any particular dx, we talk about how well he's functioning at daycare, home, etc and any...