or Connect

Posts by baltmom

What great ideas! I will definitely bring our own cake. And I love the half birthday idea!
Thanks everyone! It's funny - yesterday (Sun) we decided to go on a scouting mission to chuck e cheese and, just like PP said, it was nearly empty. So, even though cost is also a huge factor here, I think we're going to try it, mainly because I haven't come up with other options. (Love the winter hike/play idea, but we're in the mid-Atlantic, so we seldom get real snow, just cold/wet weather). For a small group, CC is so much cheaper than the other indoor kid-party...
I just started reading http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Eating-Your-Child-Connection/dp/0761161198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356376440&sr=8-1&keywords=whats+eating+your+child and already  it's quite the eye-opener for me. Like you, I don't give my son sugar, or anything else unhealthy, so I thought we were doing ok. He's a somewhat picky eater but until now I just kind of accepted that as a phase. The book is written as a kind of detective story that helps you look at your...
You are not alone. This stuff is real and it's hard. Sending many hugs   Sometimes it helps if I really allow myself to feel it all - the upset, sadness, fear, all of it - instead of trying to push it away. And at the same time remember that feelings come and they go.   Will be thinking of you on Christmas.  
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or BTDT or "I wish I had..." stories? My son will be 3 next month. He has mild, high-functioning ASD. He's never loved crowds, especially indoors. He doesn't tend to do well when peers come to our house because he feels like they're taking his toys. A couple of months ago he went to Chuck E Cheese with daycare and, to my great surprise and delight, LOVED it. So I thought about doing a small party for him there. But the day they...
Thanks! Peony - yeah, we've started and stopped more times than I can count. But helpful to know that for you, the window seems to open wider. Expat, the article is interesting. Still not sure where it leaves me since my boy is so resistant to anything except wearing a diaper (resists underwear, resists naked). Hates taking a break for a fresh diaper, so hates breaking for potty even more. But from reading several of your posts, our sons have some similar...
Heatherdeg, thank you! Could you elaborate a little? What exactly is Baltimore notorious for? And you're saying you got therapy in NJ and used KKI just for evals and follow-ups?   I did find an OT who sounds like a possible good fit for us - in Rockville. But she's willing to see us on Saturdays. And Rockville is certainly closer than NJ!   Thanks again.
Can anyone recommend an OT in the Baltimore area? So far we've done everything (research study, dev ped, assessments) at Kennedy Krieger, but not loving the wait list there for OT.   Thanks in advance!
Welcome, Birdsounds!   I've been where you are, and I know just how crazy you can make yourself constantly wondering, Is he? Isn't he? What was that? And all the searching online. You might want to drop over to the Special Needs board - very supportive.   Yes - the range of kids' abilities and quirks alike is unbelievably wide. We really want answers, but sometimes the reality is that it's not so clear cut. Whether or not he has something with a label, what's...
Thank you to everyone! Such helpful ideas and insights. And yes, great point about sensory preferences. My son is mostly a seeker. Has never minded having a wet or dirty diaper (which I why I was somewhat surprised by how much he hated wet underwear. I guess it's a whole different thing). Enjoys (for now anyway) flushing the toilet.   Meant to add before, he is really resisting diaper changes right now. So logically it would be a good time to try something else, but...