or Connect

Posts by baltmom

My son will be 3 in January and has mild, high-functioning ASD. I have two questions about potty learning, and very open to all suggestions.   Is now a good time to try? What are your favorite strategies?   The background is that he had some interest a few months ago, was sitting on the potty occasionally, both with and without clothes, and peeing in it a few times. I suggested underwear, he was very excited, picked out some with cars, we put them on, and...
Of course every experience and every clinician are different, but we have been working with KKI since my son was 7 months old (now 2.5) so I wanted to respond.   In my experience, the clinicians there have been wonderful, thorough, engaging, and supportive. That has not always been my experience with some of the non-clinical staff (like many medical offices), so I have learned to be persistent and assertive to get what is necessary for my son (eg, no we can't come at...
I feel you. Sometimes it's just the non-stop nature of it that can be so draining.   You may already be familiar with Dr. Laura Markham: http://www.ahaparenting.com/. I get her daily emails and there is always great stuff in there - reassuring, specific, new, or reminders. She once addressed the issue of everything sounding great in theory but how do you deal with it in the heat of the moment? She said at those moments you have one goal and one goal only: to stay...
My son is 2.5 and is on the spectrum (high-functioning), but our speech therapist had an insight that I thought could possibly be helpful. He had pronoun reversal at first, and she pointed out that there is a difference between simply switching "I" and "you," vs. if they are saying what they want you to say, which indicates more of an issue with initiation of a conversation (eg, "Would you like some more water?"). In our case, it was some of each, but I mostly felt like...
Thanks. I started out over-sharing too (our journey started when he was a newborn), out of a desire to protect others from the embarrassment of wondering if they should mention anything to me, because it seemed so obvious to me that something was different. As it turned out, it wasn't obvious to anyone else, and still isn't.   I feel very upfront and not backhanded at all that this is mostly about support for me. It's just the two of us, and he needs me to be the...
Just wanted to let you know that my son was born with strabismus and had surgery at 10 months. Both the surgery and the recovery went extremely smoothly. I completely understand your anxiety and worries - hopefully you will be able to discuss your family history and other concerns with the doctors involved, and together reach a decision that feels right. Many hugs!
Yes, the intention has definitely been reassurance and support! And because everyone wants to be so supportive, they really do want to understand how it is possible that he is on the spectrum. Which requires lots of explanation, and shifting of previously held beliefs. All of which I find interesting, just sometimes a lot to cover. So yes, I love the idea of being around families who just get it. I haven't really found that community yet in real life - only here   Thanks...
Thanks to you both. Rainbringer, do you know of any picture books in particular? When I searched almost everything that came up was books for siblings or friends of kids with autism, not for kids on the spectrum themselves.   I did a little experiment this morning when I was telling him we were going to some friends' house this afternoon. He said he wanted to play with their trucks and I said I was looking forward to talking with the friends, and then mentioned...
My son (ASD, 2.5) has been in daycare from 4 months old because I work full time, so I can't speak to the separation issue except to say hugs to you both! But I do want to say how unbelievably helpful I believe it has been for my son to spend so much time with his peers. Every child is different of course, but it really feels like my guy has learned things no therapist or parent could have taught him just from being around them in both structured and unstructured...
Does anyone have some words of wisdom from helping your child and your friends/family understand your child’s spectrum disorder?   My son is 2.5. Last month we received a diagnosis of mild, high-functioning ASD. I haven’t shared this yet with most friends and family, because I want my son to have his own understanding first, and I haven’t figured out how to do that yet. The last thing in the world I want is for him to first become aware of his ASD by hearing someone...