or Connect

Posts by baltmom

Thank you, sbgrace! It hits as soon as we head upstairs to start the routine, so I'm not sure how we could cut it out of the routine :( Yes, 1-2 hours every night. I do think becoming overtired may be part of the picture. We pretty much stay on schedule so he doesn't really have late bedtimes, but yes, he seems to be staying up a bit later recently. Somewhat making up for it with longer naps. Maybe that cycle is making it harder to fall asleep at night. We have an...
My son (29 months, no official diagnosis yet but likely something HFAish), is a basically happy and content little guy. However, I’m starting to feel like I’m not supporting his sensory-seeking behaviors around bedtime very well. Would love any suggestions, BTDT, etc.   For the most part his sensory-seeking seems relatively mild. It’s almost all proprioceptive or vestibular. Lots of hard work, heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, and teeth grinding. We seem to have a...
Snapdragon, would you share which books you got? My son (28 months) had been showing some interest so I was doing some low-key stuff with him, then he got very resistant so I backed off, and now the interest seems to be returning ever so slowly, so I'd love to be better prepared this time. Thanks!
Great ideas Fay - thank you!
I just wanted to return and once again thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all of the time you took to be so thoughtful and supportive as well as incredibly helpful in a practical way. Every single response has made a major difference for me. It is so grounding to hear about everyone else’s journey – I know that every journey is different, but just hearing how everyone made the decisions they made as well as stories of thriving kids makes me feel part of a...
Wow, thank you SO, SO much to everyone for all of your very kind, thoughtful, and wise comments. I'm already feeling so much more empowered by your insights, and definitely well supported. It means the world to me.   I neglected to mention our EI experience (must have blocked it out). I first approached them at around 4-5 months and they laughed me off. Literally said to me that older moms these days read too much and see things that aren't there. Told me that autism...
Thank you both, so much.   I would love to find a local group. The main one I have found meets in the evenings, which doesn't work since our family is just my son and myself, but I'll give a call anyway.   The pregnancy metaphor was really helpful in terms of not jumping to conclusions about the long term based on exactly where the test puts him on the spectrum. Can I ask, in your four-year journey, has your son been consistently subtly affected, or has it...
Hi, I’ve posted here and there but I’ve never written out our whole story, and I’m struggling. I really have so many questions that I’m not even sure what the “right” questions are, but I’m hoping some moms will be willing to help me sort it out. I love my son beyond measure, and like everyone here I just want my child to have a happy life and to be sure I’m making the right choices and doing everything possible to make that happen.   My concerns about my incredible,...
Emmeline II, thank you. You really hit the nail on the head for me, and because of your reassuring words our day today has been back to our usual laughing, connected ways.   I think after the ped visit I was subconsciously trying to coach him out of some of the "concerning" behaviors, which started a very negative cycle. This unintentional focus on deficits broke our connection, which increased those behaviors, which made me more worried, which further eroded the...
I guess I'm in the minority here. We don't have a diagnosis yet, but when we finally got to see a developmental ped and she validated all of my observations, I partly felt relief because finally someone wasn't looking at me like I was crazy, but I've also been feeling more impatient with my son than I ever have. He's 27 months, and we just saw this new doc earlier this week, and it could be coincidental, but my honest answer is that I'm feeling less connected right now...