or Connect

Posts by baltmom

Thanks to everyone! I guess the part I am most unsure about is when he wants me to play with food with him. I'm all about interactive play, so away from the table I try to join in when he requests it unless I'm truly busy with something that can't wait. But in a food situation it feels odd to join in, for whatever reason, but I imagine he may be confused by my inconsistency - mommy will play with me on the floor, but why not at the table? The times it's come up I've said...
I second Emmeline's suggestion. I think the clinicians are so used to the routine of months going by before or between appointments that they don't realize what the in-between times are like for parents, who are wondering if important windows may be closing and wishing for something, anything to support their child. You need someone in your corner NOW. You can also use the opportunity to make sure you feel good about the psych and that she is the right fit.
Coming out of lurkdom on this board because your son sounds SO similar to mine, and because we finally had our first, mostly positive, visit with a developmental ped today.   DS is 27 months and I have had concerns from the very first day. Some of those have eased somewhat, and others have crept in. At this point it’s mainly eye contact, restricted interests, pronoun reversal, anxiety around people he doesn’t know well, and a greater focus on objects than people. We...
Do you allow your toddler to play with his/her food? Do you play with them with their food, if they ask?   I'm all for imaginative play, and interactive play, so part of me loves that my son (26 months) turns his french toast into trucks and his grapes into dinosaurs, and wants me to join in. But if I encourage this now, will I regret it later? I want him to have good associations with meals. It's just the two of us, so it can get pretty boring for him.
First off, many hugs!, it does sound draining. It is so challenging when we put so much into connection and our kids seem so discontent. I have to remind myself many times that my toddler is a toddler, the things he does are developmentally appropriate for him, and it's not always my job to make it better, sometimes it's just to be there with him.   One thing I was going to ask you even before I got to the part where you said she has been forgoing some naps. My son...
I can't speak to whether this is typical for his age, but I can tell you that I could have written your post 2 months ago! (my son is 26 months) He was so mellow and content (most of the time) up until 2, then almost overnight started doing almost everything you describe. BUT - it's started to get a little better, so I wanted to give you some hope that all is well and this will pass!   It sounds like you are a great mom with a very attached child who feels very safe...
Hi, I know this thread is a couple of years old but I was wondering if any of the posters are still here if they would be willing to share updates. In searching the archives to find discussions similar to my concerns, this conversation pretty much describes where I am right now.   My son is 26 months. From the time he first started really playing with toys, cars and trucks were a favorite, so much so that I wondered if it was a little extreme. Then a few months ago...
You mentioned you've tried telling her you and daddy won't come in - what if you didn't tell her that? Could that sound scary to her and so she needs to test out whether it's really true? Just an idea.   I agree with the ideas about letting her know this is bedtime, this is when we sleep, it's important that we go to sleep now.
I agree - there is nothing like whining to put you over the edge. Is "help" ever in his repertoire? My son's daycare provider has had some success getting the children to say "help" in place of whining. And not sure if this would help since my son is very verbal, but I also ask him to use his regular voice, or tell him I can't help him if he whines but I love to help him when he uses his regular voice, and so far this has made all the difference for us.
My DS will almost always eat a quesadilla. I use whole wheat or spelt tortillas.