or Connect

Posts by rebeleducation

I took my son last year on a trip to visit my family (in a different country). We were trying to make it there before my grandmother died, but we didn't. We got there one week too late, but he still got to meet the rest of the family. Although I've hardly seen them in my adult life, it was actually really important that my son meet them. It wasn't until we were there and I saw him with them that I understood why it was important. It was a lot about him knowing...
I didn't accomplish getting some "us time" with dp today. People kept coming over unexpectedly, and it turned into a much more sociable Sunday then we had planned.
I remember feeling that my baby was psychic. If he knew that I wanted him to go to sleep right away (because we had guests, or wanted to watch a movie, or whatever), that he would take especially long.   Could it be that she feels that you are thinking of weaning? Maybe she feels desperate to get as much as she can before the inevitable happens.   My advice is just relax into it. Don't think about it while nursing. If she feels you're relaxed, she'll...
We wake up at 6am and start our homeschool routine at 8am. During the two hours in between, dh and ds have breakfast together and hang out. This is a special time for them to spend together, and it gives me those two wonderful hours of quiet and coffee by myself. I occasionally have to remind them to keep the volume down so that their noises don't interfere with my quiet time.   We don't have happy homeschooling days every day. You shouldn't feel bad about...
Definitely more of a facilitator than a teacher, especially because I barely finished high school, and really don't remember much of anything I learned in school (a main reason for homeschooling ). There are few subjects that I could actually feel comfortable saying I teach. We research together, discuss, do projects.... And then there are the Language Arts and Math worksheets that we do together for the most part, because I hate having to check work later, and rather...
The Red Tent    
Ummm... hope this isn't too harsh, but... I'd be OUTTA there.   That does not sound like a good or fair set-up for you or your children.   But I've always been radical when it comes to relationships. I'd be moving on to find someone who appreciates me and takes care of me, especially when you've only been together for a year.   It sounds to me like he and his daughters are not ready for this. Maybe they need to work on their PTSD before starting new...
Oh no. I thought I had posted that on the Montessori forum.   So, I'll just add, so as not to be hated, that Waldorf can be great for some people, but I think parents have the right to know more about the reasons behind the methodology, which are not usually shared upfront, and sometimes even hidden.
There are certain things about Waldorf/Steiner schools that all parents should know, but most usually don't. My son went to a Waldorf school K-2. If I had known these things before, I would have never placed him there. I started investigating towards the end of his 2nd year there, when we started having problems, particularly with bullying.   In my own research, I found Steiner's beliefs to be very racist, and his religion - Anthroposophy, Christian-based,...
I put my own curriculum together with stuff I find for free on the internet. We do buy reading/chapter books because we're also in a rural area with NO library   I print some of the stuff I find. Some of it we use straight off the screen. Some of it I just use as a guide to write up our own worksheets or activities. We also use lots of YouTube videos for science and history.   Doing this means investing a few hours every week into looking for stuff....