or Connect

Posts by Sierra

My kids (1st grade) used to be in Montessori, and likely would have stayed if we could have afforded it, and if we could have found a school that wasn't 90% white kids.  Anyway, they now go to our neighborhood public school, which overall is great.  I want to supplement their math, though, with some Montessori.   I thought it might be fun and more enticing for them if we started a math club at their school.   So, I want to use Montessori materials for the club. ...
Anyone? 
Our kids started out as Montessori-inspired homeschool kids.  Later, our son attended a Montessori 3-6 school for two years, and our daughter attended it for one year.  We had some special funding to make that possible, but now we are moving, and there is no Montessori school close by even if we had the special funding still (which is no longer available).    Because we started out with homeschool, I am pretty well stocked for the 3-6 age group.  What I don't have is...
Ah, phooey.  Constant Contact closed the event registration on me now that the time/date has passed.  Oh well.  PM me if you want the link to the recording.
I am hosting a (free) teleseminar tonight called "From a Disability Paradigm To Inclusive Society" if any of you are interested.  Spread the word too!   http://familyministrymonth2011.blogspot.com/p/teleseminar-descriptions.html    (And if you get this too late to listen live tonight, register anyway...it will give you access to the recording).  I'm really eager to hear the panelists speak tonight.  They all do really amazing, transformative work! 
To the OP, for what it is worth, I'll just say that my dw and I have fostered for an extended period, and as a whole, it was a really good experience.  In fact, we loved it so much that we still identify as "foster parents" even though we aren't maintaining an active license and are taking an extended (many years) break after the adoption of our dd a couple years ago (has it really been that long?).  We're taking a break largely so we can focus on the needs of the two we...
Hi!  And welcome!  I'm not around much these days, but I do lurk and post occassionally.  My dw and I have twice foster-adopted.  We lived in one state at finalization of first adoption and a second state at finalization of second adoption.  Prior to that we did straight fostering, no adoptions, in the state where we finalized our first adoption.  We also have once explored a private adoption with someone considering our family for placement.    Yes, yes to the above. ...
I hope you are able to get some answers as you follow up on the liver enzymes, etc.  Keep at it, mama!
Hi Jamie.  My family is getting ready to (hopefully) move, and our lives will change dramatically with this move.  One of the big changes has to do with our kids' school situation.  The magnet schools application deadline is coming up for our (hopeful) new city, but we're not yet in a position to apply.    My question is, what do I need to do to get my kids into the right schooling situation for next year (that is, if it is even possible to get them into a good...
We're moving to New Haven but don't have our address yet.  I know the magnet schools lottery application deadline is coming up, and we've found a couple of NH schools we love as well as some we frankly thought were awful.  I am in a panic because the magnet schools office said I have to have our address by the application deadline or we wouldn't be able to get into the lottery.  Has anyone been there, done that?  Do I have any options that the magnet school office might...