or Connect

Posts by Sierra

I am posting because I hear a lot of "no" responses and I don't want others to feel shy about posting "yes" responses. Jealousy is a normal feeling that can take us by surprise as much as the next thing...anger, sadness, grief, etc. No, of course it shouldn't be overpowering for long periods of time, etc., but I've worked with 100s of families over the years, and I think it is totally normal for parents I occassionally feel a twinge of jealousy when my kids are...
In our case, we felt best suited for some special needs and not others. However, we received inaccurate information with the placement of my dd, and over time we've discovered her needs to be different than anticipated. In that way, we didn't so much choose as we stumbled upon this special situation. I am so thankful everyday that we didn't know what we know now about dd's needs, as I think we would have felt unable to accept her placement with us. It's been rough on...
You asked the question, and in all honesty, at least with your dd, I think you are being far too cautious. I worry about what it does to a child to get the message that the world is so unsafe, that the people in her world are so unsafe. That said, we don't really have a yard and we live on a pretty busy street, so my 4 and 5 year old are not allowed much out front (I do let my 5 year old ds sit on the front steps for a couple minutes before I check on him, but my...
Quote: Originally Posted by sarahr I'm sitting here laughing because I think all of you live in my house. Especially Sierra -- my dd is 4 and it takes her *forever* to get her shoes on in the morning. Thanks for this . Misery loves company. Quote: Originally Posted by madskye DD is five and has gone from being proud that she could dress herself to being adamant that she does not know how to put on or take off her pants. ...
Mine are still at the age during which the dentist has said that I should follow-up their teeth brushing by doing it too. They won't open their mouths. They are old enough to know better (and we've tried problem-solving it a million different ways), but they practically make me pry their mouths open...which also requires getting my hands on them and keeping them still. Urgh. Also, my daughter has an issue with attention and it is hard to walk her through every step...
Thanks a billion!
Quote: Originally Posted by Peony In fact until she was 3, she only used my first name and then called my mother "Momma". I forgot to mention that sometimes my kids call my MIL "mom" as well. I think that's because they hear my dw call her "mom" and just don't really think about it. That one kinda bugs me, so I just repeat what they said with "Mimi" (that side of the family uses "Mimi" for grandma) inserted appropriately, and hope they'll...
My siblings and I grew up calling our parents by their first name. In our teen years, we occassionally sprinkled in various "mom" and "dad" type terms, but we still stuck mostly (80% of the time or so) to their first names. Now as an adult, I call my parents by a maternal/paternal term about 50% of the time, and by their first names about 50% of the time. My own kids call myself and my dw "mama," "mom," and other variations of maternal terms about 50% of the time, and...
Quote: Originally Posted by sbrinton We're not much for intuitives, but we're definitely praying. I said it with a wink because I wouldn't probably either.