or Connect

Posts by Sierra

Quote: Originally Posted by 4evermom We actually get to know new people by trick or treating in our neighborhood. We took ds around for the first time when he was 3, just around our block. We've lived in the neighborhood for years but there are so many people we don't know. Trick or treating in the neighborhood, including people we don't know, gives us an opportunity to meet people we'd ordinarily never exchange words with. I love, love, love...
I've never been in a program where the match process was like that. But let me tell you something that may or may not be helpful regarding what my match experience actually was...specifically with dd. We received a photo of dd in our initial meeting with the state social worker about the possibility of a placement. I didn't know how to react to the picture. With ds, placement took place in a matter of a couple of hours and there was no photo. With all of my foster...
Quote: Originally Posted by zombie Did you have to take the training classes again and have a new homestudy before you got licensed in the new state? Yes. Paperwork, interviews, homestudy homevisits, and all. It's a whole new license according to the new state's licensing requirements. In terms of the training, we ultimately did not have to do it because the new state decided that the training we had in our old state was recent enough...
We had to get foster licensed in our new state (a child-specific license) for the ICPC. Basically, our new state took over our license, including homestudy, agreement to the placement of the child with us, and monthly homevisits, etc. The "agreement to the placement" thing was the oddest to us. By that point our dd had been with us for over a year. What would have happened if our old state had chosen us for dd but our new state had an issue? I have no idea. But I...
Quote: Originally Posted by heatherdeg Eek. That's a good one. I wonder if they could do an ICPC to supervise the end of the adoption? That was what we did...got an ICPC. Quote: Of course, unless you have a child with a goal of adoption, I can't imagine a state even considering that. Even with the goal of adoption, they usually need to keep on documenting parental visits up to the very end, etc. A move out of state,...
I am so, so sorry. You must feel so emotionally raw. ds' grandmother later changed her mind back and decided not to take him, but we also lived through a period in which she changed her mind after first saying no and decided to take him. It's tough stuff. As much as you know that fostering is like this, when a social worker assures you that a family has decided they can't care for their kin, it is hard to ignore that and act like the child will leave just in case a...
P.S. Sorry, I posted at the same time as chaoticzenmom so duplicated some thoughts. However, she suggested We Are Many, We Are One. That one is good, but the one I like even better is Chalice Children: http://books.google.com/books?id=BPP...page&q&f=false
Spirit Play is the name of the Montessori-based program you are talking about. I can't recommend it enough. It is so great in terms of nurturing children's natural spirituality (it can start in toddler/early preschool years and actually can move through the elementary years). My kids attend a Montessori school during the week, and LOVE their Montessori church school on the weekends. So powerful! But in any case: For that age in our Spirit Play classes we say...
P.S. After I got licensed I realized that by asking right away about the vaccination requirements, it sent up alarm bells for the agency. Had I just submitted the exemption with our paperwork, after the agency had already invested in us, I think it wouldn't have caused nearly the pause that it did.
Just to make sure I was clear, I was not saying that we did not vaccinate our foster kidos. They got their vaccinations. What I was saying was that in my current state, we came up against the issues of our legal children not being fully vaccinated when we went to get licensed. The state I am in requires all children in the home to be vaccinated, however, in my state with the agency that did our homestudy, the lack of vaccines for our legal children was noted and...