or Connect

Posts by Sierra

When we got licensed in our new state, this came up. They took our religious exemption. My kids are "up to date" to the extent of our religious allowances.
I don't have a lot of regrets. One of the few things I regret, and probably the most important, is my belief early on that foster care could ever = permanency/stability for a child. I learned a very painful lesson very early on that as long as the child is in the system (even a kid aging out of the system who has NO other viable options), the child can and often will be jerked around by people who have no idea the damage they are causing. I also have a twinge of...
Oh my goodness, thank you so much! This is tremendously helpful . I'd nearly given up on getting any advice on this front. I really appreciate you taking the time to write out some thoughts and ideas for me. Okay, so... Toll booths are out. Delivery is probably out. Food service is probably out. Got it. And... Parking garages are probably in, and thank you for telling me about your relative...I think I will be in touch with you about that this spring indeed!...
My situation is different in that there was a big gap between my undergrad program and my grad program. I also am going into a different field than my undergrad, however. I too would suggest building relationships with professors. Make yourself stand out in all the positive ways you can because you'll be seeking reference letters later...especially those whose work relates more to the counseling field! But if you take any time off after your Bachelors, be sure to...
When I used to nanny, my contract specified the number of sick days I was allowed (one per month). But that was actually a paid sick day. I think it is important to have backup care if at all possible. My dw does childcare for a friend a couple days a week, and once last year dw got really sick and had to "call in." She felt awful about having to do it. Other times she worked while sick, if it wasn't bad enough that she couldn't stand up (she always warned our...
Quote: Originally Posted by KCMichigan I would think that if the IEP is written for a preschool classroom, that is where he can legally be placed Again, I am no expert, so I could be totally off base. I'm just trying to understand. I think the IEP placement basically says where the services will be provided. But that doesn't mean a parent can't place elsewhere. People change enrollments in schools for all kinds of reasons. The IEP doesn't...
Well, let me speak to foster adoption. Quote: Originally Posted by Serenity Now So I'm looking in to foster adopt. I have read so many times that people tried to foster adopt for years, and then gave up and went domestic. But, then I know a woman IRL who adopted 3 kids from the foster system and is very happy with the process. We were foster parents before we switched over to a foster adopt program (which in our state meant having dual...
For what it is worth, the California Charter Schools Association says on its website that: Quote: Charter schools: Are public schools Are tuition-free Participate in state tests Employ credentialed teachers Admit all students (Emphasis mine) Here is the website: http://www.calcharters.org/understanding/. Click on FAQs and check this out: Quote: Can charter schools have admission requirements based on academic performance or...
Quote: Well, you could try taking him to the classroom and then going to the principle separately and tell him that since your ds is already enrolled you expect he will have his due process to determine whether the school is an appropriate place for him. Even if the law is on his side I expect that something more than a phone call is required to remove him from the school, even if it is form XYZ-12. I'd also see if you could get that psychologist that verbally...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move This is not true where I live. Charter schools do not need to accept special needs kids that they cannot accommodate. Children are entitled to a free an appropriate education in the least restrictive environment possible, but there isn't legal protection to provide it at the parent's choice of schools. Forgive me. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just trying to understand. Obviously...