or Connect

Posts by Sierra

I am a mom of a kid with an IEP as well as someone who was working on a charter school startup a while back. I know laws may vary state to state, but in the process we went through, it was made very clear that a charter school must use the same standards as public schools in admitting kids, in that zip code and lottery number would be the only things that could limit a child's chance of being admitted. It is not legal for a school to accept any federal funding...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cascadian I wouldn't want her to take it out on her baby. I think there are some things that could be said in this case that probably wouldn't be a trigger for increased rage. I think it is worth stepping in with those types of low-risk words, so the child has one more person on the outside affirming her worth.
That's terrible! I think in that particular situation, I would have probably gone up and said in a very enthusiastic tone: "What a gorgeous, sweet girl you have there! Oh, she is just so precious!" If the woman had continued to rant, I most likely would have directly but sweetly countered it, such as (in a sweet, tender voice), "Oh, she's not disgusting at all. She's just a curious baby..." (and looking right at the child...) "aren't you, sweet girl?" The reason I...
Quote: Originally Posted by pumpkingirl71 I think Sierra is right, it is good to get used to this now and start thinking of a planned response. I am four years in and still working on mine! Me too (five years in). I will say my responses vary a lot according to who is asking, why they are asking, whether my child is present, etc. I'm trying to learn various ways of saying, "Oh, that's not my story to share. That's my [son or] daughter's...
Thanks folks! This is helpful and motivating. I am probably going to wait until later in the year to get registered with the university I will be attending, but this fall I am taking one class at another university (they offered it to me for free, as they are trying to entice me to come be a student there instead). Yesterday I emailed the dean of students at that university, whose office takes the disability registrations, to get more information. I haven't heard...
You know, sagewinna, this is a good time to learn this kind of stuff/have your first experiences with this kind of stuff because then you can avoid certain mistakes. What these stories you are hearing remind me of is that people will try to make sense of their own experiences/stories by reading all kinds of crap into your experiences/stories. So now, when your kid arrives, you know not to give anyone even the tiniest crumb of a detail about your child's history. ...
For the last few years we've gone because some folks in my church have given us tickets. No tickets this year though. My kids seem to think it is now "tradition," but I don't have the cash right now. Anyone know of any radio station giveaways or Sunday newspaper coupons or anything like that going on right now?
Thanks Lynn! I am just starting to explore the whole "registering with the campus office for those with disabilities" option. I took the first step today in calling the doctor for the proper paperwork.
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I have, on more than one occasion. I'm actually surprised to hear someone say they haven't seen it, to be honest. I'm sure this is a factor. Yeah, I really haven't. I've lived in one country (the U.S.) my whole life, but I have lived in the northwest, the southwest, and the northeast...in a number of different states, regions, cities, and towns. Like I said, I've heard adults be really engaged with each...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I guess I'm still not getting why people are assuming she wasn't being ignored. The mom didn't specifically say "you get ignored in adult restaurants", no. She specifically mentioned the colouring. That doesn't actually mean she was trying to avoid getting sidetracked. I'm not going to say whether she was ignored. That's impossible for any of us to know. But I tend to find it very plausible that she was...