or Connect

Posts by Sierra

Ooooooh! Awesome! I just found something like what I have been envisioning: http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=756998. *And* its something I could save enough pennies to buy over the next year (some of the readers look great, but they cost a thousand dollars or more, which is waaaaaay out of my league). Would this really work? Edited for update: Reviews don't look good. Alternatives?
I am sorting out a series of diagnoses I have received since 2007, in terms of their impact on grad school. I will begin grad school one year from now (I've taken a one year deferment for unrelated reasons). The diagnosis I have received impact learning. For privacy, I will not name the specific diagnoses. In particular, however, they impact: memory, processing speed, and processing of the written word. They are semi-new developments in my life and are progressive...
I am soooooo with all the mamas on here who are basically saying that even if someone does something differently than you, it doesn't make it a "bad parental choice." What we do as parents varies on our own family values, our children's personalities and tendencies, our own personalities and tendencies, our family dynamics, and general moods and experiences on that day or week. That's going to be different for everyone. In fact, not only is it different for...
The abc toys are the ones that get under my skin. Knowing the abcs isn't necessary for literacy. In fact, it can be a distraction. I chose not to teach my kids the abcs, and I had to basically be counter-cultural to do it. Somehow we kept receiving abc toys and books from folks (the books we translated into letter sounds, but the toys we passed on or used rarely). I firmly believe that the names of the letters should come after learning the sounds of the letters. A...
Hold steady, mama. Mad or not, she has something she can learn from this situation and the limits you've given her. That's a gift. I am sorry she's directing all that anger at you, but since she went to the site, ignoring the virus protection program's warning, there is no reason that you should rush to fix this on her time at her demand. She can wait until you have the time and patience to deal with it. And honestly, if she went to that other computer and pulled up...
Quote: Originally Posted by queenjane Depending on where you live, some of these expenses would be partially or fully covered. Yep, it all depends so much on where you are. Here is what we used to get in our old location: Quote: We get mileage reimbursement for birth family visits and medical visits etc, We only got mileage for single trips over a certain distance. As in, if your kid's urologist was 60 miles away...
Provocativa (what an apt name), you are not "hearing" what is being said. Quote: Originally Posted by provocativa please refrain from making assumptions about the lives of the poor. You don't know the income level of any of us. Please refrain from making assumptions about whether any of us is "poor." Unlike you, I do not state my exact financial position here. I have said that I am not financially well-off. That should be a clue for...
Quote: Originally Posted by provocativa sometimes the refrigerator is mostly empty and they have to eat something they don't prefer. gasp! Not to diminish my support for your overall premise, and with all due respect, but many of the folks who responded here are actual foster parents who are speaking from the experience. In general, I have found fostering children more expensive than parenting *my* children. There are many, many reasons...
Quote: Originally Posted by provocativa Earlier in the thread, someone said "You have to shortchange the child to have extra for yourself". I think a number of us also disagreed, and expressed disagreement albeit in nuanced and different ways. Quote: even though I had planned on fostering when we can fix up our house a bit, I sure as heck won't be coming to this board looking for advice. Please don't be so quick to...
I have several. My dad, even though he isn't a mother, was my rock and my stability (while I did not find it easy to live with my mother). He taught me how to set loving limits. He taught me that all parents mess up and the key is to handle one's mistakes with humility and a willingness to learn. He taught me to stay calm. My mother taught me about the importance of art in children's lives. My Godmother taught me about appreciating children for exactly who they...