or Connect

Posts by LRMamaS

Thank you all.  You've given me some food for thought.  I was always going to deal with this with my own kids in private, but wondered whether I should bring it up with my friend as well.  She knows how I feel about swearing around my kids, and watches her own language when she's around them, so I will just operate on the assumption that she has asked her kids to do the same.  I was hoping for some sort of magic solution that would shield my children's ears until they're...
It's actually the other way around.  We are very strict about the use of salty language around our kids.  This other couple's kids are the same age as ours.  And the problem is exactly that we are worried about the other kids swearing in front of ours.  So far (to our knowledge) it hasn't happened, but we are aware that their kids are using language we would not want our kids to hear for several more years.  But they are good friends, and our kids are good friends, so...
But seriously everyone, how do you handle this with friends who have the opposing philosophy?  
How do you handle this topic with other parents?  The anti and pro cursing camps are two very disparate parenting choices--once the kids pick up the words, they're bound to repeat them in front of their friends.  And for someone who's very anti, there's a perception of loss of innocence that's hard to reconcile.  But it's so hard to bring something like this up--do you, or do you just suck it up and handle it with your own kids?  
He responds well to time outs, which we did right after today's incident.  I wonder if he sees quiet time as a big time out?  Maybe I'll try explaining to him again why it's important to get a rest in the middle of the day.  He seems to grasp reason when we take the time to equate something that's happened with the way he sees the world.  But it's hard to find a parallel to poop cleanup!     Someone on another thread mentioned small candies as rewards too.  I'm sure...
Wow, thanks for the fast response!  I've had him help clean up pee messes, but with the poop I feel like I need to know that it's all clean, so I need to do it myself, and quickly.  My 1-year-old was in the next room screaming at the top of her lungs, so I there was no way I could spend 3 hours making sure he cleaned everything with me.   Books on tape is a good idea.  He probably is bored.  I'll look into that.  As for special toys, it's his trains that he's driven...
That about says it.  It's happened 3 or 4 times now.  He's fully potty trained, his younger sister is a year old so it's not a new baby thing, and I am around to spend time with him all day every day.  I'm a stay-at-home mom, and my husband's work schedule changed a month ago so that he's also around a lot of the time.  I need the quiet time mid-day or I'll lose my mind (whatever of it I have left, that is ), but I don't know how I can leave him unattended in the back of...
I assume you've figured this whole thing out already, because the thread is several months old, but I wonder if his behavior was related to knowing that he would be going to his dad's soon.  I wonder if he thought that you wouldn't send him there if he did something he wasn't supposed to, like poop in his pants, specifically because he could see that it got you really upset.  Has it stopped?  I would love an update.  I only just found this board because of my own...
So guess what?  My mom suggested I break out the playpen for my nap-striker since we don't have a full size crib and he sleeps in a bed at night.  Well, he was curious about it, said, "Liam lay down.  Tired."  Then he decided he hated it, but after about 30 minutes of fighting it, the bedroom got quiet.  HE'S ASLEEP!!!!!  Omg, I never thought I'd see the day.  "Quiet" time has been very loud for the last week.  Now we're having nap time, and it's so much better.  This...
I'm right there with you Triniity.  We'd been pushing our son around in a stroller to get him to nap for a long time (he used to have to be worn when he was a newborn and until I was pregnant with our daughter), but seeing as how he's two it seemed like it was time to transition to napping start to finish in the bed.  We're going on two weeks of daily struggles.  I've tried what seems like everything.  Soft music, a dark room, cuddles, reading stories, a pre-nap bath, a...