or Connect

Posts by Kodachrome

Where it stands, the last day of school (for Buncombe County - I live in east AVL) is June 10th this year due to all the "snow days" we've had. Our kids have already had to go to school one Saturday and have one more. I believe the normal release date is usually June 2nd. I could be wrong though. We found our first house here through iWanna online before moving here in September 2004 from Oregon. The landlords were great and worked with us. Emailed us photos,...
Quote: Originally Posted by queen b really, nobody has anything to say about asheville? i guess that tells me a lot.... Ouch... We have a popular bumper sticker seen on quite a few cars around these parts. It says: "Don't move here".
Quote: Originally Posted by walking burp cloth How is the neighborhood around Evergreen? Are there many parks? The neighborhood(s) around Everygreen are awesome and very park-like with no parks super close. The closest real park would be Haw Creek/east Asheville Library. It's about a 1.5 - 2 mile drive away from our home... as New Haw Creek Road is a busy Road (not walkable). With that said, our neighborhood is situated off of that road...
I live directly behind Evergreen School in east Asheville - and they play outside a lot. Especially in the Summer months - like all day with loud music blasting. I love it and it's awesome! Sure wish they did that at the elementary school my youngest attends - which is just down the road. Keep in mind that Evergreen has a revolving wait list. When we moved here from the west coast in 2004 - the elementary school that our two older children went through (and now...
Hmmm. Never heard of it, but it makes me wonder if it's not part of that huge mini-city like complex known as Biltmore Park. If so, I wouldn't live there.
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaFern i love the rag rugs too! i have found a good tutorial on them by googling the subject...i have been planning to make a few this winter. Yeah, there's a bunch of great info on the net. That's how I began my venture making rugs, and sort of tweaked it along the way to make it work better for me. They're a blast to make. I find I make them a lot come springtime when I can sit outside in the sun - it's a great...
Quote: Originally Posted by ThirdEyeMom Can you tell me how you made your rag rugs? Are they crocheted or braided? Can you approximate how much fabric you'd need for a certain size. I love the red! Surely! (And so sorry about the big gap in time responding back to this...) All of the rugs I make are crocheted! Flat sheets and huge pillow cases are the best to use. With the flat sheets: I fold them in half lengthwise and then cut into...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dandelionkid Cat poop can carry roundworm eggs. And Coccidia.
Quote: Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein No, but they use my front stoop at a litter box. I guess my point is that people should control ANY animal they own. True, but unfortunately (or fortunately...) the same rules and laws don't apply to cats like they do dogs (within city limits). Yes, my cats annoy the heck out of me at times with their poor choices of where they do their "business," but it's not as annoying as say... the two...
Quote: Originally Posted by mama kk I really love Black Mountain NC. It is 20 mins from Asheville and there are lots of great hiking trails, an awesome shady castle park right by a shallow stream, a beautiful new town pool, and the town library is super cute (but sort of small). I know there are CSAs around as well as lots of farmers markets. I know there is a big homeschooling community here, but I am not directly involved in that yet so I don't know too...