or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

My son is nine and has been a homeschooler since he was six. I think the idea that home schooled kids have less opportunities is a bit of a myth. Where we live, there is a large and active home learning community with many activities and classes one can choose to do with other home learners (drama, pottery, art, band, swimming, science programs etc). Generally the kids have less scheduled lives and more time free to play and learn; and planned events tend to be multi-age...
 This is my experience too, 4evermom. My son plays Minecraft a lot- but as he doesn't go to school or have homework, he has a lot of free time. Yesterday he played Minecraft for about five hours in the morning- partly on his own, building a new adventure map, and partly on Skype with a friend. That took until noon. So then we had lunch, did some errands, went for a walk, drew comics together, read for a couple of hours, got our passport photos taken, went to a coffee shop,...
 Not sure I follow you here, Seawind- what do you mean by the "insular nature of technology"? These two statements seem contradictory.  My son started playing Minecraft at seven. He's nine now. It's had huge benefits for him, in terms of learning (typing, spelling, coding, problem-solving, creativity, mad computer skills), friendships (cooperative play, dealing with conflict, negotiating shared projects, skyping together, running his own server, hosting Minecraft parties,...
Hi and welcome.   I think that if you are planning to send your child to school (which I think you have to do in Sweden, is that right?) it can be important to have an understanding of common needs and challenges for gifted kids within the school system. Assessment that shows giftedness can be helpful in advocating for your child's needs for enrichment or acceleration, and also in avoiding the misdiagnosis which is common among gifted kids (eg. high energy and intense...
 Yes, I so agree with this. I think whether we call something a passion or a "persistent strong interest" is less important than how we think about it, how we support it, and what expectations we attach to it. My own interests and my son's do shift and change over time, and I think having a sense of personal identity that is too wrapped up in any one part of our lives does make one rather vulnerable. I like the comparison to the "one true love" idea- I've never been a...
This is a fascinating topic to me. I grew up with a parent who had work that he was extremely passionate about-- and I kind of assumed that I would also find a job that I loved as much as he loved his. But while I did well in all subjects and had lots of interests, I didn't have one over-riding passion. I changed my major in university all the time (science, to English, to anthropology, to philosophy...) and pretty much rolled a dice to choose a grad school. Spent ten...
 This. Two years still feels like a long time for me, in my forties, and at 15? An eternity. I couldn't have moved out at 15 though. Or 16. In fact, I didn't do all that well with it at 18- but I was much less diligent and organized. It sounds like your daughter could manage it, and might thrive in a larger school community with more opportunities. Given her maturity, I think option 2 sounds pretty good, especially if she knows that she can come back home any time if she...
Lisa Rivera's book  gives a nice overview of a wide range of approaches:  http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home-Schooling-Resource-Families/dp/0910707480
My son and I enjoyed it too. Actually, he's enjoyed all of Gordon Korman's books (good news- there are MANY. Like 70+ I think). 
Interesting. We've done similar things to others here... I've never been a sports person but I try to stay reasonably fit-- I have a treadmill in the living room, so I can exercise on days that my son doesn't want to leave the house. My partner does triathalons and half-marathons so there's some good modelling happening there (thanks, partner!). In the past, we've done more outside activities activities- swimming, squash etc- but we seem to be in a cocooning phase at...