or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

You know, the more I think about it, I'm kind of blown away by the amount of learning that has come from Minecraft here. Specific things-- like digital circuits and logic gates- AND/OR/XNOR etc-- but more importantly, things like troubleshooting, seeking information to help solve a problem, persistence, tolerance for frustration, resolving conflicts... Lots of good stuff.    I'm curious: How do others help their kids create balance and find enjoyable forms of physical...
 I think this is very true. My son has learned a lot from Minecraft (and had a great deal of fun.) He's made his own servers, built mini-games, is working on his own mod-- he's learned a lot about game development, learned a fair bit of java, lots of general computer skills (all of this he could have learned in other ways, of course, but it's been picked up very naturally through Minecraft-related activities). He has learned to type (which is awesome, as he doesn't like...
 I'm a writer, which I can do wherever and whenever. I also do some editing- also flexible and from home- and some teaching, usually one evening a week when my partner is able to be with my son. 
 I think it is respectful to address people as they prefer to be addressed, but there is nothing inherently disrespectful about using first names. Any name can be said with respect (or without it). I have called my parents by their first names since I was a toddler, although my two younger siblings called the Mom and Dad. My parents were fine with either. My son calls me by my first name and has since he was about three. He calls my parents by their first names too- which...
Most of my books are for teens but I've written two books for 7-9 year olds-- Ben's Robot and Ben the Inventor. They're good ones for curious, imaginative kids who like robots, gadgets and inventing things.  http://www.amazon.ca/s?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Robin%20Stevenson&search-alias=books-ca   Some of my son's favorites series from age 6 (he's now 9) included: -Calvin and Hobbes -The Droon series -Ivy and Bean -Ramona the Pest -everything by Roald...
Just realized that when I posted this earlier, I posted it in the wrong thread. Oops- I have a cat needing eye drops every two hours and I don't do well with sleep deprivation! Anyway, here are a few computer-based resources and programs that my 9 year old son has played around with:    If he is interested in computer game design, check out these (all free, though you can buy full version of GameMaker if you like the lite version and want more): Scratch, Kodu,...
If he is interested in computer game design, check out these (all free, though you can buy full version of GameMaker if you like the lite version and want more): Scratch, Kodu, GameMaker    If he likes Stop Motion animation: SAM animation software (again, basic version free)   If he like digital animation: Mine-i-mator (fairly simple Minecraft character animation) or Blender (complex 3D digital animation- there are good tutorials on YouTube)
Lots of very cool kits and also Arduino projects here: http://www.makershed.com/ My son has the 4WD Arduino robot- might be right up your son's alley, as it requires building, soldering and C++ (I think) programming. Some smaller projects too- my son got a big kick out of the TV-B-Gone :) My son is nine and has very similar interests. 
I was like that as a kid- I read constantly. Most of our family photos from my childhood show me with a book- there's even one taken at a wedding, with all the wedding guests lined up posing and smiling, and me at the end of the line in my dress, reading. I would have had no interest in memorizing passages or writing reviews. My parents didn't limit reading at all (they're just as bad, come to think of it), though they did make sure we all had opportunities to do other...
  Ha! Can I join you? Seriously though- I think that seeing your kids learning and thriving at home will do more to overcome the fears than anything anyone can say to you now. You can always try it for a year and if you don't love it, the schools will still be there...