or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

This made me smile. FWIW, we have a few cracks in the perpetual joy, bliss and magic around here too! I second the out of the house and snack suggestions...
      I've found that most people are curious, but not disapproving. Our family and friends are very supportive, which is lovely, but even complete strangers often make comments about how great it is that we can homeschool our son. We've felt very supported and I have been amazed at how many people in our community have been willing  to share ideas and resources to support my son's interests. We've encountered some bewilderment about how homeschooling works and...
    Interesting article-- thanks for posting. I noticed this when my son was in kindergarten and it always bothered me. The teachers also tended to seat the kids by sex-- girls with girls and the boys with boys. In preschool, the kids played in mixed groups. In kindergarten, this started to change. I don't think the teachers' intentions are to contribute to gender stereotyping, but that does not mean that this type of practice is benign.
          Same here. We don't watch TV, so that's always been a non-issue. We all like to rent movies and watch them together. And we all use the computer for various things--  games, stop-motion animation, looking up information, photoshop, Mindstorms robotics etc. The grandparents have a PS3, and we play Little Big Planet when we visit... it is fun, but I am very glad it isn't in our house!  
NellieKatz, he just got the game recently, right? So it's a new passion for him? Not dismissing your concerns but I know my son gets very intensely focussed when he discovers a new passion. A year or so ago, he discovered Little Big Planet 2 and everything was about the game. I mean, everything-- he talked about it non-stop, he wanted bedtime stories about LBP, his art and craft activities were based on it, he played "levels" as he walked down the street. He got into...
Thought of one! The Skull of Truth, by Bruce Coville. The main character has an uncle who he is very close to who comes out during the story and has a same-sex partner.  Not the main point of the story, which is about a talking skull, protecting the environment and other such things. I found it a bit uncomfortable to read to my son (who has two moms) because the boy's reaction is initially to feel upset and embarassed... but it all works out nicely and is probably pretty...
"Between Mom and Jo" is excellent, but also very sad... and definitely a teen read. I'm hoping you get some good suggestions-- my son is almost eight and I'd love to find some for him too.    
The Rainbow List is a great resource (shameless brag: my teen novel Inferno is on the 2010 Rainbow list!) but there is a real dearth of good options for kids the age of the OPs daughter. There are some cute picture books (my son loved Todd Parr's family book) and lots of awesome teen  novels for ages 12+... but very little in the middle-grade range.   Which is a real shame. I am still racking my brain to come up with some but there is just not much out there. We're a...
Michelle Mulder's Out of the Box is a lovely book-- a family drama and a bit of a mystery. The main character goes to stay with her aunt and the aunt's same-sex partner has recently died. Their relationship isn't a majpr part of the book, which is more about the main character and her relationship with her parents, but the same-sex partnership is portrayed very positively and integrated nicely into the book. Here's a...
Ivy and Bean series, by Annie Burrows-- early chapter books about two unlikely best friends. Well-written and good for grade 2-ish kids. Easy reads. Theodosia series, by R.A. LaFevers-- longer and more challenging. Ancient Egypt, Edwardian London, intelligent and brave girl is the main character. Quirky, well-written and exciting stories. Raider's Ransom, and the sequel Flood and Fire, by Emily Diamand. Just awesome. Love these books.   My son is eight (almost)...