or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

My son is also 7 and has always been a very independent thinker, with strong opinions and a very high need for autonomy. He could be described as stubborn or headstrong but I think those words have a negative connotation so I wouldn't choose them. In adults, those traits are more likely to be described as persistence and determination, right? Like you said, Mama Scout, these are actually useful traits but can be challenging in children. I think that part of the reason we...
  I have one child, aged seven. -strew. Infrequent or regularly?   Infrequently. Mostly if I come across something I think he'd like I just give it to him, but I do occasionally leave books in the back seat of the car or magazines on the breakfast table-- as much for me as for him though.   -have curriculum or textbooks in the house? Few or many?   We have tons of non-fiction books, games and science kits but no actual curriculum or text books. Wait- not...
I agree with the above. My son has similar scores. We had him assessed in hopes that the results would be useful in advocating for enrichment at school... but ended up pulling out of first grade anyway. If he was in school, I would use these scores to try to get him access to a computer, to get him support in developing keyboarding skills etc, but as we homeschool, it hasn't really been an issue. This profile seems pretty common with gifted kids and I don't think it is a...
Thanks Kathy! I like your summary of pros and cons. My instinct is very much to wait and see how things unfold for him-- I think he will write when he has something he wants to write-- and to provide support in whatever form he needs once he is motivated to work on this. I do find it reassuring to hear about people's teenagers who now enjoy writing after coming to it later than most, and I hope this will happen for him.
  Oh yes... I can definitely see this in my son. Actually, I was the same way as a kid-- probably still am, somewhat. And I agree about the usefulness of modelling learning through picking up new hobbies-- so I am trying to learn a new language. The fact that I am mono-lingual, hated french in high school (see above re. assuming one is bad at things that don't come easily!), and do not learn languages quickly is, in this case, a bonus ;)    
I found this distinction useful-- that is, the idea of separating out the handwriting instruction from the other areas of interest and learning. It makes so much sense. I've often thought lately, as he gets more into math concepts, that in the classroom, this interest might have been eclipsed by the pressure to fill in worksheets. So thanks for this.   
Moominmama and Roar, thanks so much for your thoughtful posts-- I appreciate your perspectives and experiences. I think and hope that maturity and motivation-- and keyboarding skills-- will make a big difference as they did for Miranda's son. Fortunately beautiful penmenship is no longer necessary-- neither my brother or myself, or either of our parents for that matter, ever managed to achieve it-- despite much practice! Yay for laptops :)  
Thanks for these suggestions! This is the kind of thing we have been doing actually. He does paint, acrylics and water colours, mostly abstract or 3D shapes. He's done a ton of models-- detailed wooden ones (planes, cars, boats, birdhouses, catapults etc), most of which he has painted, as well as Meccano, Lego etc-- he loves building projects. He used to do those dinosaur dig kits when he was younger, and he does work with clay now. He makes his own scratch art paper. We...
Thanks for your replies! To answer your questions, yes, he can write numbers and he can print-- he just prefers not to ;) He enjoys math and does it mostly on-line- Khan Academy, math games etc- or using math apps on the ipad.   He has no interest in colouring but enjoys lots of activities that require fine motor skills-- actually, his fine motor skills are pretty good; the difficulties seem to be specific to the motor aspect of writing. He does sometimes draw...
Hi, I've been reading posts for a few weeks, just joined tonight and thought I should get around to introducing myself.   I have a seven year old son who is gifted, and we are home learning/ unschooling. We tried advocating for him at his public school, realized fairly quickly that it wasn't going to work, and decided to pull him out. He was thrilled.   He's been out of the school system for a year now and we are all loving it. I have found the recent posts on...