or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

For us, spelling seemed to just click in into place on its own, at 8-ish, after a few years of reading but not much writing. Honestly, I think Minecraft did it. I suspect that my son could spell "teleport" and "spawn zombie" before the standard first grade spelling words. Once he knew a bunch of words from repeatedly typing them, he seemed to internalize the rules of spelling and started to notice, comment on and learn the exceptions to the rules. He just turned 9 and...
I just read the third book in a trilogy of YA novels by Beverly Brenna-- Wild Orchid, Waiting for No One, and White Bicycle. The main character, Taylor, is a teenage girl who has a diagnosis of Aspergers. I thought they were well written and wanted to mention the series here in this discussion of kids' books and diversity, in case some of you were interested. Characters with disabilities (not that Aspergers is necessarily a disability) are also under-represented in kids'...
  Yes! I agree- thanks to all.    Also- Pek64, thanks for coming back and explaining where you were coming from. Trying to get published can be a discouraging process. I'm an author (kids and young adult fiction, traditional publisher) and while I'm not sure I have anything helpful to offer beyond the usual "keep writing, don't give up" type of advice, please do feel free to contact me if you'd like to chat. 
Becky, were you at the Life is Good conference? Might be worth posting this link on the Life is Good Facebook page :)
I homeschool my only child and love it. We have a blast together most of the time, and he can explore his interests and passions freely and with lots of support. Travel and all kinds of activities (movies, sports, museums, galleries etc) are more affordable with one kid. And of course there are lots of other kids and adults around that he can get together with when he wants to, so he isn't really just stuck with me all the time-- and I work part time from home (am a...
  I'm a total bookworm and a writer... but I couldn't agree more with Fillyjonk here. Do what you love and help your kids to do the same...
  Any tips on navigating this shift? I'd love to hear ideas... My son is almost nine and an only child, and over the last year or so has really outgrown a lot of the things he used to do. 
Hey Fillyjonk. There are a few YA novels (Between Mom and Jo; From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun and others) and a number of pictures books but not much for the age in between. Lauren Myracle has a couple which I haven't read-- Luv Ya Bunches and Violet in Bloom-- aimed at tween girls. If other people know of more, I'd love to hear about them. 
Emaye, here are a few new titles (maybe too old for your son, not sure of his age) and a bit of a rant from a librarian about the under-representation of black boys in middle-grade fiction:  http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/2013/05/10/2013-middle-grade-black-boys-seriously-people/