or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

Hey, I'm also on the island (hi there Granite!) and I'm one of two moms to a fabulous eight year old boy. I mostly post in the unschooling forum but visit here sometimes, though I don't post much. I guess I've btdt, but it terms of trying to conceive, it feels like quite awhile ago. Still, I do have a blog-- mostly about unschooling, books and writing-- and I would love to have visitors. Lately all the comments on my blog are spam from people who want to sell me Xanax....
Hey, thanks so much! I appreciate that. Of course, it is always so much easier to be articulate in writing than it is when you actually get asked these questions in person... at the grocery store... with a child tugging impatiently on your arm... 
Mostly I'm pleasantly surprised about how interested and supportive people are when they find out we unschool... but the two questions I get most tired of answering are probably "But what about socialization?" and "So how do you know if he's keeping up?" I know it isn't fair to be impatient because even though I've been asked those questions a hundred times, it's quite possibly the first time that particular person has had a chance to ask it... so if the person is...
What province are you in? 
Awesome post, Miranda. I love the goats and computers story- thanks for the laugh. I'll remember that one the next time I start feeling bad about our chickenless backyard. 
I enjoyed reading all your posts- thanks! It's good to hear from people at various places along the journey-- and always especially nice to hear from folks with teens who are feeling happy about their choices and can reassure those who are starting out!   We've been unschooling for two years (actually, Halloween will be our two year anniversary of leaving the school system) and are loving it. I'm happy, my son's happy, we're both enjoying life and learning lots along...
My son asked at three if Santa was real, and I was caught off guard and hedged a bit... at four, he was very insistent that I tell him the truth and so I did. He wasn't upset at all. Just said, "Yeah, that's what I figured. I never thought he was real." We always read lots of books with magic of all kinds, but he didn't ever believe in the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy either-- in pre-school he used to get into arguments with kids who believed in fairies ;-)
My son is eight and has been interested in programming for two or three years. He's played around with Scratch and currently prefers GameMaker-- both are fun and don't require a knowledge of coding. Lego Mindstorms is also great-- my son is on a First Lego League team for the second time this year, and it has been a great experience-- socially as well as programming-wise. The kids do their robotics, problem solve together, work on a project together, and fit in lots of...