or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

Miranda, I wish there was a like button! That was a lovely post to read. My son is 8 and he's awesome- and he just gets more interesting all the time. I enjoy his company so much and it's hard to imagine that ever changing-- so it's good to hear about people enjoying their relationships with their teenagers. 
An IQ test given by the school is likely to not have been a very in depth assessment-- a full pysch-ed assessment takes a number of hours and will give you a more complete picture of areas of relative and weakness. Because an IQ test combines different subtests, a child who is gifted in some areas (eg. verbally) but weak in others (eg. processing speed) may show a full scale IQ which is in the average range. For some kids, whose scores are scattered from very high to...
  Thanks for this Lillian! My son is very self-directed in his learning-- he has strong interests and prefers a lot of autonomy. We've been unschooling for a couple of years and though we're all loving it, I still have occasional anxiety attacks about our unorthodox approach to his education--  so I found your post reassuring. I think that adults often don't listen enough to our kids when it comes to understanding what works from them as learners. It's a good thing for me...
Hmm... We've had a pretty low key day. My eight year old downloaded a Minecraft mod and mucked on the computer about trying to get it working properly, read a graphic novel, worked on a new story, got groceries with me, and had an appointment to get his eyes checked (still no glasses, unlike me- yay!). Now we're back home and he's building stuff with Lego Digital Designer-- and in a few minutes we're going to pick up a couple of friends for a First Lego League meeting....
  Well said, Tigerle.   To respond to the OP's original question, I think the concept of giftedness and the identification of gifted kids is important within the school system, because educational interventions (enrichment, subject acceleration, pull-out, grade skip etc) may be necessary. Unidentified gifted kids may be more likely to have social and behavioural difficulties if their abilities and needs are not recognized. As with kids who have learning disabilities, the...
My son has had fun with SAM animation. The demo version is free: http://icreatetoeducate.com/
I don't require any particular work or learning on a day to day (or week-to-week) basis, but obviously I want my son to be happy and fulfilled and curious. I also want him to be literate and well-informed and capable and to be a critical thinker, because these are things I value and see as important... but I don't see how he could fail to be these things. I don't think I'd be unschooling if it wasn't so clear to me that my son is learning and will learn what he needs to...
We didn't intend to homeschool at all and ended up pulling out of first grade after a few weeks because it wasn't a good fit. At the time, I was frustrated at the lack of good options within the public school system where we live, and I confess that I drooled over websites of schools available in other areas... However, after two years of homeschooling I can't imagine sending my son to any elementary school. It's hard to see how any school program could offer...
We don't have TV but do rent movies, and my son is Minecraft mad... and I am a writer and at the computer a lot. We both enjoy computers and are learning a lot online, but I do try to make sure that we all have some balance, time outdoors, physical activity etc. I have to say that I really dislike TV in restaurants... and my son's latest electronics project was building a "TV-B-Gone" gadget that will turn off any TV within 100 feet or so. We haven't actually taken it...
Hmm, I loved the Xanth books as a 11 or 12 year old-- all those puns-- but I do recall some fairly explicit sexual content. Might be worth taking a good scan through before giving those to an 8 year old.