or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

Raider's Ransom and Fire and Flood, both by Emily Diamand. They're dystopian but more middle grade than YA, and not too scary. Exciting and very funny, with a strong female lead. If she likes robots, she'll love these ;)   My son (also 8) is a fan of Harry Potter and loved all the Rick Riordan books (there are three series-- Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, Heroes of Olympus). I posted a list of his favorites on my...
  Just wanted to say thanks for this-- it made me laugh out loud because I could so relate to both of the above comments. My son is a born unschooler and I am still battling my over-explaining tendencies...   One other thought for the OP-- kids do learn naturally but since they are driven by their own interests and curiousity, unschooled kids won't not necessarily the same things in the same order that they would in school. I agree with the suggestions to step back and...
  Love this! I would have to say it describes our family curriculum pretty well too... can I borrow it?
My son, now 8, is very fond of all things science... Here are some of our favorites (we homeschool but don't follow a set curriculum):   Usborne has some great basic science books. My son liked "What's Chemistry All About?" and "What's Physics All About?" when he was your daughter's age: http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/catalogue.aspx?area=S&subcat=SWSA&id=3834   He also enjoyed the Brainwaves...
 It hasn't ever occurred to me that giftedness has anything to do with this.... I suspect that most kids try it out and how their parents respond is the main influence on whether or not the habit sticks. I called my parents by their first names from age 3 or so on, and my son has always called me by my first name (well, starting at 2 or 3- can't remember exactly!). I actually like it but I've always told him either way is fine. He calls his grandparents (on my side) by...
Gifted kids are often perfectionists, and often have big and complex ideas (for drawings, stories, inventions) that are beyond their abilities (planning, fine motor skills, patience) to attain-- which can be frustrating for them. This is of course true of all kids to some extent, but I think it is heightened for gifted kids. They are also often asynchronous in their development-- for example, a five year old may be several years ahead in reading but socially and...
  Love this. I very much agree! (Mine is currently soaking up much Minecraft knowledge... and incidentally picking up some keyboarding and spelling as a by-product).
We've spent the last few days at the Life is Good Unschooling conference in Vancouver WA. It has been a blast for our eight year old and very enjoyable and thought-provoking for us. I suspect we will be back next year. I'm wondering what other unschooling gatherings people here have been to and enjoyed. Any suggestions?
Hey. Sure, why not go for a couple of days? I haven't been to the area before but I would think there have got to be some cheaper options for accomodation.
chfriend, I don't know about the trial-- but just wanted to mention that I have been impressed with the quality and appeal of the Brainpop videos. My son loves them (though he tends to watch the science and history ones, so I haven't seen the grammar videos yet).