or Connect

Posts by Cassidy68

Anyone else going to the Life Is Good Unschooling conference? It is in Vancouver, Washington later this month...
 Awesome! It is a bit of a splurge and I'm so glad he loves it. My son did too, and it let on to other cool things- a Lego Mindstorms team, making games with Scratch and GameMaker, interest in programming etc. Have fun :)
I'd forgotten about that one, Daffodil!  George's Secret Key to the Universe - Stephen and Lucy Hawking- was one of the first novels my son liked! The perfect novel for a kid who loves space and science.   Also, what about James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory etc. My son enjoyed the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary when he was about that age, Look at Farley Mowat, maybe, if he is outdoorsy. We also liked Lynne Reid Banks-- all her books,...
FWIW, my son learnt to read by recognizing words, not by decoding. The decoding came later-- after he was already a fluent sight reader. I think kids learn in a lot of different ways. I suspect my son learnt to read mostly by watching the pages as we read to him, but I'm not sure. He was an early reader but he was never willing to "sound out" words until well after he could easily recognize them. One thing that was fun was reading Dr. Seuss with him, because there are so...
  Yup, this was us too. Always assumed my son would go to public school. I felt slightly mixed when the time came-- a little sad about him being gone all day, but also pretty excited about all the time I was going to have to focus on writing. I volunteered in the classroom, loved the school community, went to every school meeting in that kindergarten year.   But as it turned out, the initial enthusiasm my son had wore off within weeks and he just did not like school at...
Some print magazines-- What If? is a good one-- publish book reviews by kids and teens. I wonder if she would be interested in submitting a review for publication? I love her comments, by the way. She sounds like a fabulous kid and it's great that she has faith in the uncrushability of her creativity.   Funny story-- When we first started home schooling in grade 1 (last year), I tried to get my son to write something to send to our DL program. He gave me a seriously...
I hadn't planned to homeschool and didn't know much about it-- but after starting school with great enthusiasm and anticipation, my son didn't much like his half-day kindergarten. By the end of the year, it was clear that socially and academically it just wasn't a good fit. We tried first grade anyway, but despite the school being small and the teachers kind and well-intentioned, it just didn't seem like a good place for him to be spending so much time. We looked at some...
Great interview Lillian- thanks for posting. Kate's blog is worth checking out too!
Mine is seven and an only child. He still prefers to have someone playing with him all the time if possible ;)   Here's some of the things he liked at six:   -Lego WeDo. It's sort of like Mindstorms but much simpler-- you can build lego stuff with motors and sensors and use drag and drop software to program it. Pretty easy to get started with. -Snap Circuits if he's interested in electronics -Green Science Kits -Playdoh or clay -Chess solitaire -Straws...
Just blogged about why I LOVE unschooling: http://www.robinstevenson.com/wordpress/category/blog/