or Connect

Posts by Teresa

Never mind--I just found it. It was at the 'Doctors Opposing Circumcision' website under the Publications section. It's called "Does Being Born a Healthy Male Require Surgical Correction?" and is written as though intended for a doctor to read. Here's a link: http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...lications.html Thanks! Teresa
I'm trying to find an anti-circumcision (pro-whole, intact and natural!) brochure. Friend does not want to circumcise, partner does, etc. I usually send the NOCIRC 'Care of the Intact Penis' brochure, and this one--it features a scalpel on the front and is pretty direct. I think it was from a 'Physicians Opposing. . .' or 'Doctors Against. . .' organization but I can't find anything when I search those websites. Thought I'd saved it on my computer as a PDF, too,...
There used to be a great web-site with tips on talking to a child who is sleeping. I can't find it anywhere now (forgotten the name/address) and searches for 'Talking to a sleeping child' or 'How to talk to a child who is asleep' give me just about everything but what I'm looking for. Both my husband and I talk to the children while they are asleep, but I want to bookmark that page and pass it along as well, so if anyone knows it, or one like it--please post it or email...
Edgar Schoen has written a new book called 'On Circumcision' which, of course, advocates routine circumsion and it's getting a lot of press. Our local paper picked up the article and ran it on the front page of the Health & Fitness section. He cites the usual flawed/dated arguments (UTI, HIV, HPV, etc.) and then says that another major reason he supports circumcision is because, "It's the American way." I haven't seen the book, but who wants to bet that it's got a US...
I've been asked to pass this along to folks living Simply: 8< STATEWIDE SIMPLICITY PICNIC -- MARYLAND Saturday, June 25, 2005, 12-4 pm, Unitarian Universalist Church of Annapolis. Co-sponsored by Simplicity Matters Earth Institute and the Green Sanctuary Committee of UUCA. Come celebrate the success of the voluntary simplicity movement in Maryland! Since 2002 Simplicity Matters has organized over 80 circles in the greater DC area, Baltimore, Annapolis, and...
Well, I see many 'Views' but only two 'Replies'! I did find two very good authors, both with a couple books on Emotional Abuse or Abusive Relationships: Lundy Bancroft Beverly Engel I'll post some comments on the books when I've had time to actually read them all and see how they compare. In the meantime, there is precious little out there for friends & family of abused women (or men for that matter!). Plenty of things for Co-dependents, folks married...
You don't need to prep anyone for the discovery that your child is going to remain whole, intact and natural. If anyone notices or comments respond appropriately. If they are genuinely curious and interested, give them information. If they are attempting to offend or criticise, respond with either a 'shocked and appalled': "No one does THAT anymore!" or with the previously suggested, 'Why would we want to do something like that?" spoken with a confused look. (The...
A great book, popular with UUs is "Hide and Seek with God" by Mary Anne Moore. It's not illustrated--at least not my edition--but it would be a great resource for you to get some ideas and then re-tell the stories/tales in your own words. I've never figured out the Noah's Ark-Christian thing. People using it as a theme for children's bedrooms! Yes, it has cute animals and a nice little boat, but it also has that vengeful, fear-me God from the OT destroying an entire...
Debra, Any chance he does this intentionally? If not, then by all means, take separate cars when you anticipate these kinds of things, take an always-ready bag-o-snacks, take a great book, knitting or other distraction. And maybe, since he and your ass istant pastor are so particular, leave it to them to manage the details. As for household issues, set your boundaries and stay with them in a loving, gentle way. For example, if he needs the sheets changed more than...
8< My sister emailed me a link to some of the nastier parts of the blog and cc'd him too. So, once he checks his email he'll definately know that I know... >8 Well, I figured that this would resolve itself one way or another when I read this. I think your sister handled it wonderfully! I was going to suggest that you go ahead and visit and 'take the high road' when you did--not bringing it up, but seeing if he broached the topic or apologized, knowing, as he did...