or Connect

Posts by milk monster

Maybe next time let *him* flush it? Our 26-m.o. loves to flush the toilet, has loved doing it since he was 10 months old. Pantsless totally works, but our experience is not to expect to be accident-free in any particular time frame. I'd love for him to take full responsibility for making sure everything goes in the potty, but practice non-attachment to time frames. Could put unnecessary pressure on yourself and the baby. And ultimately, accidents are no biggie. You just...
Alice May, congrats! It's a process ... took a page from your playbook and started accepting his "no" even if I thought he really needed to go. A few accidents later, our almost-22-month-old has started telling us most of the time when he needs to go poopoo or pipi. Yay! Big step forward! This morning he even said "poopoo" while daddy was cooking, so daddy said, Go sit on your potty to make the poopoo--and DS did it, all by himself! Thanks for the great advice, all!
Yeah, our doula was the one who urged us to try EC and supported us along the way. But she warned us that it wasn't necessarily any faster than potty training--just more communicative, more empowering for the kid, and better for the environment. Her DDs weren't fully potty-independent till 2.5 years, same as lots of diapered tots. Our DS at almost 22 months is pretty dry all day, we don't use diapers at all except at night (though we do have at least one pee miss daily...
Our LO didn't like the bblp. Never used it. We started EC at 3 months and usually used the bb throne. Once he could walk (about 9 months), though, he developed a preference for potties he could easily get onto, which meant the throne was out. His favorites since then have been the bb smart potty and the froggie potty. Froggie is the only one wise splash guard is high enough for little boys, ime--I like the look of the bob smart potty and Z finds it the most comfortable,...
I grew up in Toronto (back in the era when winter was cold). It was pretty common for toddlers to freak out about snowsuits; your daughter sounds sensitive, and I can completely understand that it's uncomfortable. But I doubt that sensory issues are often so severe that a kid absolutely can't wear a snowsuit (else kids in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec would stay indoors for five months straight--and they don't). Snow is fun--let her play in it! I...
A great cookbook we find really practical is Alice Waters, The Art of Simple Food. Hope that helps!
Haven't started DS at school yet, but the short am sweet advice sounds very wise to me. Remember, a few tears at separation are normal, and show that your DK is securely attached and sad to see you go. It doesn't mean DK won't enjoy preschool--and maybe even be sad to leave beloved friends and teachers at the end of the day! When I see the difference in social skills btw two-year-olds who go to daycare or preschool and two-year-olds who don't, I have to think that, at a...
Also, it's not too early (or too cold) for your big boy to start playing outside (with you or his dad, of course). If you're in a warmish place, take him out riding a toddler scooter, or splashing in puddles. Go hiking. If there's snow where you are, find a park with a big hill, bundle him up and go sliding. I grew up in Canada. We played outside every day, rain or shine, winter or summer.
We had a wooden likeabike--super-expensive, and too heavy, I don't recommend it--but just got 20-m.o. a Trikke for Christmas. Same price as other options being discussed on this thread. He loves it and was able to use or right away. He's very tall for his age (not sure his height exactly, but he's over 36" for sure), and uses the seat at minimum height. Could probably lift it an inch or two, not more than that. What we like best about it is its light frame. Much easier for...
Haha, Skycheat, our kids must be twins! DS has always liked interesting and spicy flavors, and there's nothing cuter than a cave-baby mawing down [hmm, is that a word?] a drumstick! I'm guessing you did baby-led weaning http://babyledweaning.com, too? Around age 19 months or so, DS started to take an interest in hot spices, too. Always likes to grind black pepper into his soup (like mommy) or try hot sauce on his eggs (like daddy). Has always loved Indian vegetarian...