or Connect

Posts by onebookheart

My daughter is a perfectionist. Mostly in the sense that she doesn't want people to see her do something until she has mastered it and is happy with it.  On one hand, I think this makes her a good candidate for homeschooling because I personally think the only way you get to be really successful in a school setting is to "show off" as it were, your skills.  However, dealing with it at home is really, really frustrating.   I often hear her criticize her drawings, she...
I would sit on the bench and just supervise, but my very cautious and shy daughter won't play if I do that.  She likes us right there.  She is 5, and I don't have any worries about physical stuff.  Like others said, when she was younger I was close due to behavior of other kids...I don't why, seems like lots of negative behaviors happen at the park.  But, since she was very little, she is more comfortable around other people if we are right there.   And, I have felt like...
So, this may not be totally related to unschooling,but I am going to post it here because in my mind it relates to a point.    My dd is 4, her K year would be the 2013-14 school year.  Right now, I am thinking of doing a more unschooled K year.  I have many, many reasons for this, but one of the reasons I am thinking of homeschooling is that my daughter shows NO signs of being willing to participate in something without a parent present.  After much hand wringing and...
What are your favorite child rearing books?  I guess I have just been feeling a little lost lately with dd.  I feel like I am threatening too much and that maybe we are not having enough fun together.  i feel like she and I "fight" (for lack of a better word) over the same thing everyday. (mostly getting dressed and ready for the day)   I know some of it is just personal stuff, me feeling to overwhelmed with the amount of housework, and on the weekend day where dh is...
Thank you, Sweet Silver for your response.  Basically, I want it to be playtime because of course playtime is learning time.  Like you mentioned, I am not sure I am in it for the long haul and want to make sure we at least touch on some basics in case she ends up in regular school for 1st.  I just want to try to stay away from worksheet, sit at the table and she isn't interested, but I feel the need to get the work done.  The homeschool charter I have been looking into...
So,  I have gone from not wanting to homeschool AT ALL to, well, maybe I will the first few years with a nearby charter homeschool program, to now thinking about a more unschooly approach to Kindergarten.   My dd is 4 with a December bday, so her K year would be 2013-2014.  We currently attend a mommy and me style preschool program 2 days a week.    Let me see if I can organize my thoughts a bit.  While she seems to really like her class, my dd is super reserved...
Just saw this and even though I don't really know how a social group works, I am very interested.  My only is really due to circumstance, (after losses, we decided not to tempt fate again, too heartbreaking) and trying to find the balance of being okay with our family as is, and letting myself mourn not having more kids is still a struggle almost 2 years after the decision was made not to try again.
Well, I hope you are still reading too, because I wanted to lend a little support your way.  I have to say, I disagree that the way you handled the play area was disrespectful to your dh.  I think what you did, (setting the timer) was actually just an extension of what your dh did.  Its not like you jumped in and said, "no, its not time to go".  You were following what your dh said, just adding a tool to make it go smoother.  While I understand what the others were...
This is a nice post to read.  We still are family bed with dd (just turned 4) and i do feel like there are not many older kids and cosleeping stories out there.  The past couple of months have been hard on me, (just feeling overwhelmed with mothering and feeling like I don't even get a break at night feelings) and I have been considering changing it.  Still undecided at this point.  But, it is always good to hear of older kids.  I'm the only one i know IRL who family beds.
I was just wondering if anyone struggles with this.  I struggle with this A LOT, like, to the point where I am considering getting some help for it.  I lost a baby at 34 weeks before my dd and one at 20 weeks after my dd, and I often feel like it made me feel like I have to be the "perfect" mom to the one I have.   Everything that doesn't go smoothly, I instantly blame myself and think I am doing it wrong.  If you read my post about my daughter being very attached to...