or Connect

Posts by amautik

With the bad prefolds, do the hottest, longest, most heavy-duty wash you can do, with bleach.  There's bacteria in there causing the ammonia.   You might need to do something similar to your diapers that are now also smelly, but I'd say you can be a little less intense with it if you think your diapers aren't up for it.  But with prefolds, you can be pretty much as harsh as you want and not worry because there's no PUL material. 
I like Blueberry pockets, though I would go with the bamboo insert rather than the microfibre.    I also like Thirsties covers for prefolds, so if their pockets/AIOs are anything like the covers, I would definitely recommend them.  (Anyone reading have any comments on this?)   I just bought a Tots Bots (Bummis) Easyfit (AIO) and from what I can tell already, it's very fast-drying; way, way faster than I expected for an AIO (you have to stuff the tongue like a...
No suggestions, just commiseration.  DD is also going through this phase.  Poor DH has a harder time with her than I do, and he's started cursing prefolds (whereas before he was singing their praises) and reaching for pockets more.  LOL.  He used to pin flats when DD was newborn, now he loves pockets and all-in-ones.
DD was 8 lbs 2 oz when she was born, but was probably nearly a pound lighter when she came home from the hospital and started with cloth.  Honestly, I didn't have any newborn sized diapers.  I had Econobums prefolds, some flats, and a couple of size small covers from other companies that were hand-me-downs from friends.  They were probably big on her from what other people deem 'too big', but we didn't have any problem.  She grew fairly quickly after that, so any...
Glad to hear it all went well!  I mean, the way I was looking at it, they only get washed once a week with the diaper service anyway, so it wasn't a change in routine on that end...just done in a different location, that's all!  Hope you had a good time on vacation too.  :)
You might want to try the Tide on your diapers.  I know a lot of people say that that's what works best for them.  I also agree with Cristeen that you can divide the detergent between the two washes.  It helps get rid of the organic matter, and then your main wash is starting with much cleaner diapers.    Every once in awhile I do use the presoak option on my wash.  Normally I don't have to do it, but if we've had an especially poopy day, I'll run that cycle (on mine...
I have an HE top-loader too.  :)   Your diapers probably just aren't clean enough, hence the underlying scent of poop.    My first thought is that the cold wash probably isn't doing much.  It doesn't for me.  Maybe our water is too cold or something. I've done cold pre-washes and the diapers still had breastmilk poop on them!  A warm pre-rinse or pre-wash will work better because bodily fluids are more soluble at those temperatures.  With a warm pre-rinse (at my...
What about Swaddlebees?  http://www.swaddlebees.com/Products/All-in-One-Diapers/Snap-AIO-Cloth-Diapers_10   It has snaps, but I think it might fulfill your other criteria.  Haven't used it though, so I can't say much about it personally.
I like Blueberry, though they are pretty expensive.  I know a lot of people like Kawaii (http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/) and they have minky, and are very reasonably priced.  (Made in China though, so if that's an issue for you, they'd be out.)
Maybe your DS had strong urine?  I haven't had that problem with DD unless she got a lot of pee on the cover.  If it was just touching a wet diaper, that was okay, but if somehow she managed to pee right on the cover, it would likely smell.  Lately, now that she's eating solids and is bigger, her nighttime diaper covers sometimes have a smell, but not during the day.    It could be related to laundry, though if that were the case, I would expect the fitteds to have a...