or Connect

Posts by amautik

Look into the Ameda system.  I didn't end up buying it, but that was one of the primary points I was interested in when I was looking.     http://www.ameda.com/ameda-products/accessories#CustomFit%20Flanges
I'm on maternity leave for a year, and since DD pretty much never leaves my side (or rather, my arms), I got a pump only for when I felt engorged.  She started sleeping more through the night, and her feedings became fewer, so I'd want to pump in the morning.  Plus, I figured it couldn't hurt to have a little supply built up in the freezer for if I want to go out.  I got the manual Avent one because it was the only one available in my small town and I wanted it pretty...
Continental is much more common where I live because the missionaries who taught the locals were German, but I knit English-style because my mom's mom is from somewhere else (or at least, I assume that's why my mother learned English-style when everyone on her dad's side of the family knits Continental).   I wish I had learned Continental earlier though, as I've tried teaching myself how to do it, and while I can now almost get into auto-mode with it, I still drop more...
I've ordered from Tiny Tush before, and have been very satisfied with their service.  They sell Chinese prefolds, though I've never used them.     http://www.tinytush.com/Chinese-Prefold-Diapers-One-Dozen_p_632.html
I read this thread when it was just beginning, and so many things said on this thread are resonating with me very strongly.  I don't have the heart to read the rest of the thread tonight, but maybe another time I will be ready to share my story and read everyone else's.  But I do feel that those of us on this thread share similar emotions.   My DH has been pretty supportive, but I think sometimes he thinks I obsess over it (and maybe he's right, but I think basically...
There are many inexpensive options...sounds like you're looking at many of the brand-name diapers out there.  I mostly use prefold diapers and covers.  A prefold diaper is basically just an absorbent piece of cloth, generally thicker in the middle third, that you can fold.  (And folding doesn't have to be difficult--we mostly just fold into thirds and lay in the cover.  Prefolds range anywhere from $1.00 to about $3.00 each, and covers can range from $7 to $15.  And you...
Yep, it gets cold here!  I do love the four seasons, but it would be easier if it were mild all year round.  (And cheaper too...no winter gear, no heat at full blast all winter long.)  DH and I considered very seriously going to NZ for grad school, but our enthusiasm eventually fizzled when we bought a house and got settled a bit more.  But if it's barefoot-all-year weather there and acceptable, I think I may have found my people!  LOL.    I've never really...
Ooh, I like your drying racks!  When DH and I were talking about getting one, he pictured one like the one I have, and I pictured one like yours!  Then I found ours at the yard sale, so his idea won out.   I like the one hanging on the wall too.  I have a lot of similar small items like yours, and it would be nice to have a designated spot for them.
What about putting a wool cover over the disposable at night to catch any leaks? 
Oh, and I know I am making photo books for all the grandparents next year of DD's first year.  I got a great deal through Groupon for printing and it's good for a full year, so I'm going to get that done and printed long before Christmas (but after DD turns one in July).  Not exactly homemade, but kind of...it would be designed by me!  At least I can do that on the computer while she's nursing.