or Connect

Posts by amber3902

I bet you get your errands and grocery shopping done much faster than if you had to drag the kids along with you.   I also try to cook a big meal on Sunday and then we have the leftovers on Monday or Tuesday. Since starting this thread I've started to ask my SO to cook dinner more.  He works from home most of the time and is more than willing to do it.  I just never think to ask him, but this thread has reminded me I shouldn't be ashamed to ask for help.
 I’ve never done a really detailed schedule because that just doesn’t work for me.  I find if I’m scheduling things down to every half hour it’s too overwhelming for me.  Plus, life happens.  It’s hard to schedule every thing like that, because sometimes it may take the baby an hour to get to sleep whereas another day it only takes her 15 minutes.  Or dinner takes longer to cook than you thought it would.  Then I feel like a failure because my schedule didn't work.  I...
Salr, I won’t lie to you. It does get easier the older your kids are. But there are things you can do now to make your life easier. Buy paper plates so you won’t have so many dishes to do, and getting rid of clutter will definitely help.Maybe setting aside one or two hours a week on the weekend to catch up on housework would help.I’m not sure how old your children are, but they can be taught to pick up after themselves. My daughter started making her bed up when she...
Good point and I agree! I am extremely grateful for the day care that took care of my 8 year old. She started going there when she was six weeks old and the ladies there loved her and took very good care of her. I learned quite a few things from them.I remember when she was 2 even though she had stopped sucking on a pacifier at day care I was still letting her do it. It wasn't that I didn't want her to stop, I'd just cave whenever she say "Mommy - pacy!" I had no...
I'll have to look up that Flylady system, Lauren, sounds like what I do. I don't have an exact schedule either, but I do have certain days that I'll do something. For example - Tuesday or Wednesday evening I usually work out. Saturday morning my girls and I have a list of household chores to do. My 15 year old vacuums all the common areas and empties all the trash in the house my 8 year old sweep the floors and patio and vacuums her room I clean all the bathrooms and...
Ugh, that's too bad Pattimomma.  I agree it makes no sense for ya'll to attend the memorial service.   Too bad your MIL doesn't get it.  I find sometimes what works is if you become a broken record. I've done this with my exH and it works (usually).   I'll just keep repeating the same answer over and over and over.   For example in your case you would say:  "Sorry, but we can't make it." MIL will raise her objection and you just repeat "Sorry, but we can't make it"
 I agree.  I certainly am not trying to criticize a woman's choice to be a SAHMs.  I just want to be honest about the risks and trade offs.  Same as I can be honest about what I can and can not do since I do work 40 hours outside the home.  Admitting that I am not able to spend 5 hours a day cooking pasta from scratch does not mean someone is criticizing me for being a WOHM.  It's a fact that I just don't have that much time in a day.  A SAHMs takes a pretty big risk when...
Another thing, I don't know why SAHMs would feel guilty for staying home. If they are doing all the things they say they are doing, there is no reason to justify staying home. Same as I don't have to justify working. Someone can say I'm only working to buy a new car or pay for $400 shoes, but I know that's not the case so I don't feel bad. Maybe the reason what someone says bothers them is because deep down inside they know some of what's said is true.
Yeah, my girls are sick about two or three days a year.  Those days I take off from work.  Fortunately I have a job where I can do that. Wow.  How about having a little compassion for the mother that can not AFFORD to take time off from her job to care for her sick child?  Would you rather she stay home and lose her job and have to go on public assistance? MaggieLC- just an FYI about child care - most schools offer before and after school care for working parents, and they...
Another important thing to think about, are the financial repercussions of not working.    I wonder if SAHMs ever think of what they will do if their marriage fails.  Given the fact that 50% of marriages end in divorce, there is a very good likelihood that your marriage is not going to last and then what will you do?   If a person's marriage fails, you might get alimony, but most likely it will only be for a few years and then you're on your own.  Lifetime alimony is...