or Connect

Posts by amber3902

You know, maybe I'm just a mean ole mom, but I would not let your son live with his dad.  Speaking as a divorced mom myself, I don't think it's a good idea to let a child decide where he wants to live.  Kids that live in intact families don't get to decide they want to live somewhere else.  And he's only 13!  Children of this age lack the maturity to make a decision of this magnitude.   In addition, you state that exH is maniuplative and his living situation is...
I suffer from adult acne.  There are several supplements you can try that worked for me.   Flax seed oil works wonderful for me.  It works the best at preventing the large volcanic like pimples that never come to a head. Clear 5 -  This is a multiviamin that I’ve started giving to my D14.  It's a combination of B5, zinc and other vitamins.  While my daughter is not completely acne free, I’ve definitely noticed a difference.  Her pimples are fewer and smaller than...
Well, that was a very brave and wonderful thing to adopt a 14 year old.  Most older children don't get adopted so I think it was great that you and your husband opened up your home to this boy.   Having said that, though, I have to agree with the above poster that you are letting your son get away with too much.   You have to let him suffer the consequences of his actions.  If he won't go to class, stop paying for them.   You need to enforce punishments and...
I tell my girls that dying is a part of life.  If no one died, there'd be no room for all the new people that are being born every day.   I tell them that because we know we are going to die, we need to appreciate the time on earth we do have.  We should never take our family and friends for granted.  We should tell them we love them everyday, because you never know when we might lose them in death.   The reason I love Tim McGraw's song "Live Like you were...
  Yeah, bullying is probably an overstatement on my part.   And you're right, D14 said this girl does not like Freshman, so that's probably why she's so nasty to D14.   I'm more so just looking for how to help her cope with this kind of situation, I'm sure this isn't the last time she's going to encounter someone who is less than patient with her questions.
  Thanks, good tip.      I think part of the problem is that my D14 has no problem asking questions.  My motto has always been there's no such thing as a dumb question.  Also, because of her auditory processing disorder I've encouraged her to ask for clarification when she's not sure of something she's heard.  Her teachers always say she asks a lot of questions, LOL.  Some teachers like it, but some get annoyed because they think it's because she's not paying attention. ...
My D14 has an auditory processing disorder.  Sometimes the fact that she can't process what she hears has caused problems for her in social situations and hasn’t always had friends.  But as she's gotten older she’s learned to cope with her disability and in the past few years she's made several good friends.   Every morning she waits at the bus stop with other kids that go to her school.  D14 is a freshman, at the bus stop there are several kids that are older than...
I'm sorry I can't offer any non-toxic birth control methods, but just wanted to say KUDOS to you for doing this for your daughter!   Maybe if you talk to your OB-GYN she could suggest some kind of low dose birth control pill.
If the OP's daughter wants to celebrate getting her first period, that's fine.  To me, it's no big deal.  It's kinda like graduation celebrations for kindergarten or sports were everyone gets a trophy.      I just don't understand the concept of celebrating getting a period.  Like I said before, I don't see what there is to celebrate.  Yeah, period DO suck, BIG time.  Tell me one good thing about a period, and spare me the whole "becoming a woman" crap.  They are...
It has never occurred to me that my daughter would want to celebrate getting her period.  I mean, what's to celebrate, can't go swimming, cramps, headaches, fatigue.    My DD started when she was 12.  I had already explained to her about pads and tampons, and how to use them, so she was pretty prepared. I seriously doubt she would have wanted a party or a celebration of any kind.   I also explained to her that now she was menstruating, that this meant she...