or Connect

Posts by darthtunaqueen

Sara/Seraf, what a load of crap they fed you. You absolutely do not retract to get a catheter in. And a bag is perfectly fine, we use them all the time in NICU. If we're really concerned we do an in and out catheter (ie if the dipstick is positive for red blood cells, white blood cells and/or nitrites). I hope they got his blood quickly and it didn't take too many pokes. poor little guy.
Sphinxy and the inseminators sounds like a death metal band. ^_^
A really really great resource is the Standford Hand Expression video. It was developed as a test project for NICU mamas who were taught to hand express AND pump to get and keep an excellent milk supply (and it works!). The video is really great, the LCs are calm and they go over hand positioning and technique a bunch of times. Ignore the fact that it's aimed at NICU parents (except for Canany and Lisa and quite possibly Knitting!). Really good hand expression can replace...
E2W, I'm sorry my comment came off that way. I grew up Christian (baptist) and my youth group used to recognize most of the Jewish holidays (which, I now find very interesting considering how restrictive some parts of the baptist church are!). My understanding of the old testament is that god literally DID come down in a cloud (or blazing lights of glory) and prevent him from sacrificing his son, and from there requested that they make a covanent of removing foreskins,...
One last thing on circumcision and I'll shut up. "routine infant circumcision" is NOT the same as what it was when god came down from a cloud and told all the Jews to cut off their foreskins. It was something that was started as a way to control boys from masterbating. I've also read that it was really pushed by Dr Kellogg, who also thought that to discourage masturbation, children should be taught that their genitals are a source of pain, and used to drip acid on the...
I'm pretty sure Darcy's right. However, as a NICU nurse, you will not find me or DW anywhere near an airplane when we are pregnant. Too many baby-born-prem-after-air travel have I seen, and though the chance is tiny tiny tiny, the fact that I see it at work freaks me out enough to completely avoid it. I've also heard theories that not flying really early in pregnancy is good to avoid, as the amount of radiation that you're exposed to could potentially cause something to go...
Good lord, Lisa!!! You and Cananny really must've nailed the insem timing!!! Those little Y sperm were first past the post!!! Congrats, that's so exciting!!! I always think of Linus/Dexter/Simon when I think about triplet boys. And the identical triplet boys I've met in my career who were just the cutest thing you could shake a stick at.
Im jumping in as a NICU nurse. In BC the rates of circ are tiny, something like less than 15% of boys are cut now, probably because it's not covered by MSP anymore. I watched an instructional video on circ and nearly died it was so horrible. In fact, there was a baby who died in our NICU many years ago as a result of blood loss post circ (surgery was done in a different hospital). The Canadian Pediatric Association (or whatever they're called) do not recommend the routine...
What is your name? Allison What are the names/pronouns of your partner and children (if you have any)? J (DW), She.  Our 2 cats are a he and a she. What method are you using to get pregnant this next cycle? We'll be doing frozen WTBK through a sperm bank.  In 2ish more years. What do you and/or your partner do for work? I'm an RN in a NICU, DW works retail. What state/province do you live? BC What is the most exciting part about this TTC time for you? Not...
Melatonin is a godsend.  I take it because I'm a shift worker, but our ND put DW on it as it helps support normal hormone levels.     I totally enjoyed the name chat!  DW took my name, as I'm HIGHLY attached to mine.  I really wanted our kids to have my last name, and she wanted to have the same last name as our kids, so she took my name!  :D  Love it!  Almost 2 years later and I still get a thrill out of seeing her name.  :D   It's pretty amazing how much TTC...