or Connect

Posts by LilyTiger

You're fine, since most women with decent diets get the proper amount of folate.  The folate recommendations are primarily for those who eat a very imbalanced or malnourished diet.  And pre-conception folate is more important (or at least as important) as prenatal folate, so since you were taking it beforehand, I really think you're more than fine. 
My total labor depends on whether you count early labor or not.  My first real contraction was at 10:00am, but active labor didn't start until around 1pm.  I gave birth to our daughter after around one hour of pushing at around 2:30am.  I was stuck at 2cm dilated for a LONG time (with back labor).  My doctor suspects I'll have a much quicker labor this time around.  I certainly hope so.
My pants got pretty uncomfortable around then the first time.  Since this is my second go-round, I'm already in my postnatal pants, which are about two sizes larger than usual.  I'm definitely really bloated, and all the eating to ward off nausea certainly isn't helping anything. 
I don't have any advice on the pregnancy part, but you should get ANY changes in moles immediately checked by a derm.  I know you're getting yours done soon, which is good.  But changes in mole color, texture and shape like you describe are serious warning signs.  My uncle discovered a malignant melanoma on his wrist that he also ignored for precisely the same reasons.  It's really important to get yourself checked yearly by a derm after this, especially with your skin...
I don't even know what all they tested for at my first appointment, but they drew like 80 vials of blood.  I just go with the usual battery of tests.  I was glad to know last time that my lead levels came back somewhat high so I could try to be better about cleaning and avoiding exposure.  But it is kind of off I guess that I totally don't even really know what most of those tests were for. 
I told my boss early because he had to plan the teaching schedule for the fall and I had to figure out what/how much leave I would be getting.  He has a big family himself and is very supportive, so it wasn't a difficult conversation to have.  I do feel bad that the department is understaffed and I'm making it worse, but he also understands that this is a pretty short period of time in a long career.    I'm sorry some of you are dealing with less than supportive work...
The current state of research is that the risks don't go up until you are at around 5 cups of coffee a day.  I went completely cold turkey my first pregnancy, but that's just not an option this time.  I have to deal with teaching and writing while getting a toddler through inexplicable 2am wake up times.  It's just not possible.  Some days I'll have the equivalent of close to 3 cups, but most days I have just one in the morning and herbal tea throughout the day.  Anyway,...
Ha, yep.  My husband locked our baby in the car with the keys a few weeks ago.  I was terrified, mostly because she hates the car seat and I didn't want to see her melting down while being totally unable to do anything about it.  It was also cold, but not so cold that it would be an immediate danger.  The worst/funniest part of the situation was that my husband ran home in my parents' car (we were at their house) to find the spare car keys (which he couldn't find) while I...
As much as you might be uncomfortable with soy, formula should really be her main source of nutrition for the first year.  Are there any other formula options you might be more comfortable with?  Babies need a complex set of nutrients during the first year and formula, even a "bad" formula, still has to meet basic nutrition requirements set by the FDA.  Unless you have a degree in nutrition and a lot of time, it's dangerous to eliminate formula altogether at that age. 
I didn't mean my reply to sound flippant.  I can understand why you wouldn't want strangers touching your baby, though it doesn't personally bother me.  Perhaps work on a simple one-line response you can say while pulling the child away that is polite and cheerful but firm.  Something like, "I'm sorry, we're avoiding much contact with other people until he has all his vaccinations" (whether you plan to vax or not).    I always like to remember WHY people touch babies and...