or Connect

Posts by LilyTiger

I have a tipped uterus, so my midwife couldn't really feel fundal height at all at my last appointment (6 weeks) and my other doc couldn't really easily feel it from the outside until around 12 weeks (I might be remembering that wrong).  I couldn't feel it at all my last pregnancy until I was really far along and I definitely can't feel it now.  :/
I think HcG levels are only "normal" in terms of whether they are doubling or not.  So a single reading is not helpful early on in pregnancy.  You need to know how your levels look the next day and next week.  I would talk to your doctor about your fears.  If you are really concerned, you could get in for an early ultrasound around 6-7 weeks at which point you might be able to see the heart beating.  But there isn't a lot you can do this early on.  Try to relax if you can,...
Our daughter is named Piper Ingrid so we're looking for something kind of similar for the next baby.  We like the mix of old and new.   Our first choice for a boy (though we're still mulling it over) is Ripley Burnett.  Both are family names, one from my husband's side and one from my side.  For girls we're much more torn.  My husband thinks Ripley could work for a girl too, in which case we could do Ripley Eleanor (both family names again), but I'm not sold on Ripley as...
That sounds beautiful, samstress!  I live near a river and love doing runs along the water, though I'm not an outdoor runner in the winter.  I'm a little sad that by the time spring comes around I'll probably be too big to run comfortably.  I had bladder control problems and discomfort when running starting at around 20 weeks last time, so I'll stick with my circuits and cycling and long walks.   I think a thread where we check in periodically would be great.  It's...
I worked out throughout my last pregnancy and it helped so much with mood, comfort, and recovery after labor and birth.  I'm hoping to stay as active this time around, though the dreaded first trimester is messing with that a little.  Right now I'm doing modified Insanity workouts and indoor cycling for cardio.    What are other mamas doing for exercise?  How do you stay motivated?  What are your favorite prenatal workouts and resources?  I would love some active buddies...
That's great news!  I think it is SO IMPORTANT to carve out time for yourself in the madness of motherhood.  We'll be keeping our nanny on two days a week even during my maternity leave for my next baby because I know I'll want some time to just spend alone with the new baby or even alone just by myself.  It's so important that women don't feel selfish for taking care of their own needs.  It makes us so much better mothers when we aren't burned out and frazzled. 
I'm in the "no screen time at all" camp.  There's just too much evidence that it affects the ways babies process sensory input from the world.  We solved the problem by using an iPad when nursing and tilting it so the baby couldn't see.  I still do this if I'm watching Netflix while folding laundry or something.  I keep it high up and angled away from my toddler so I can see the screen but she can't.  The screen is small enough that it's hard for them to focus on and being...
FWIW, if you don't have back problems or a previous injury (an important caveat), you can keep lifting whatever you were lifting before (like kids) with proper form throughout pregnancy.  If it hurts, obviously be careful.  But generally speaking, lifting weights (and kids) is a great way to stay healthy and active to help during labor and birth.  I was back squatting 90 pounds at 38 weeks and I attribute a lot of that to how great I felt carrying around all that extra...
-Name: LilyTiger -Age: 33 -EDD: July 15 (though probably later since I went a week over with DD) -Location: Upstate NY -1st child/2nd/3rd...: 2nd child.  I have a 15 month old DD (August 2012) -Baby's sex: I think it's a boy, but we won't find out until birth.  I would be happy with either.
She's concerned about it because her doctor is using the threat of an ectopic pregnancy to schedule ultrasounds that she's not comfortable with.  She's not worried -- her midwife is.