or Connect

Posts by modestmothering

Oh, wish I were close to a pool! 
I put Magical Beginnings and Beyond the Sling in my registry.    Like many of you, I enjoyed reading Ina May Gaskin's books.  I did not like the book *Birthing from Within.*  I am reading Penelope Leach's guide to raising a baby to age 5 and I have some mixed feelings about it.      I am about to purchase Davis's Heart and Hands.    
I had an impossible time sleeping until I broke down and finally bought a snoogle.  My situation is weird: I have super intense SPD (so my hips are hurting frequently) and I can only sleep on my left side because literally when I roll to my back or right side I see spots! .  So, before I bought the snoogle I tried about 564 different pillow solutions and no matter what I tried I would wake up every hour with a left hip that was growing a callous and pain so deep that I...
I'm with you.  DH and I have been approaching the issues by not speaking about them to anyone.  This won't be able to last forever.  DH says, "if someone wants to talk about vaccinations, just don't enter the conversation if the group is obviously pro-vac."  But I have a hard time NOT participating.  I might feel the urge to do what I shouldn't do: exhausting myself trying to explain what I think is a commonsensical approach to the kind of parenting that I value.   I...
For the past few weeks I have meeting with NDs in our area to discuss primary care for our little one, when s/he comes.  We are really on the fence about vaccinations and will most likely not vaccinate or will do so very selectively on a delayed schedule (I am still in the process of conducting research, which I started doing months ago ).  Because of this, there is not a single traditional MD who will take on our child, which is fine since we are most interested in NDs...
  Oh man.  I am right there with you.  The first trimester for me was awful AWFUL and I am feeling a little bit of that sickness coming back as I get close to the third trimester.  Luckily, I've had a break for a couple weeks in the middle.    I cried while doing dishes.  Dry heaved and nothing came up.  But I saw a lovely pool of blue spots.    My mantra is: This isn't going to last forever.  This isn't going to last forever.   I hope that mantra can...
A rutabaga.  Golly, mine feels like it's already a watermelon.  You gals look AMAZING!  I love these pics!   Here's me at 25 weeks  
At 21 weeks I also was only feeling movement every couple of days and it was very small movement.    I am now at 24 weeks and I feel a lot more going on. 
Having a child is an exciting and sometimes a scary thing.  I feel this.  I'm glad that I feel this.
How exciting!  I started with the questions that Ina May Gaskin suggests in her book "A Guide to Childbirth."  But the kind of questions that you ask should reflect the issues that you care most about.  So sitting down and jotting down what those issues are is most important.  For example, you want to make sure your midwife jives with your philosophy of childbirth.  I made a list of the things that I cared about the most.  I wanted to know about:   1. What are her...