or Connect

Posts by modestmothering

Thanks for the links!  I am enjoying reading the blogs! 
I would love to just post the list here but I am following SO MANY blogs!  I have all of them listed for easy access HERE in the navigation tab.  I hope that works!  
Xanadu: That would be really wonderful.  Academia and motherhood sometimes seem at odds with each other -- at other times, they can seem like they were born together.    I am an English prof and I specialize in Victorian lit and gender/sexuality studies.  I just got my Ph.D. last month!    Right now I am an adjunct prof.  What about you? 
I am really into blogging and am always on the hunt for more blogs to read and refer.    Currently, I'm interested in blogs about motherhood, pregnancy, feminism, green living, fitness, academia, literature, writing, the arts, or food.   Would love any suggestions of blogs you like to read, or blogs that you write!   Thanks!   P.S.  If you, too, are into reading/writing blogs I do have a list on my blog of what I'm reading and recommend.  There is just so...
Snoogle is now on my list of things to buy!  Thanks for the feedback.   I do see a chiropractor, thank goodness, and that helps a lot.  I also found that just getting out bed when I start whimpering from hip pain and doing yoga gives me about another hour of sleep.  If I do this 7-8 times a night, I can mostly sleep enough to feel rested.    Glad that something is working!   Yes, I have noticed that my uterus hardens after orgasm.  But, this hardening was...
I have recently entered the field, having just completed my Ph.D..  I have been teaching at university for seven years as an adjunct. Currently, I work at a community college in which there are no full time faculty, so part-timers play a large role in decision-making.  Like you, I find myself at the other end of a spectrum that has been dominated by instructors who have been at the institution for a long time and haven't stayed abreast of current issues in the...
I'm with Chapluca.  Couldn't have said it better myself.    Ultrasounding is not "necessary" by any means, and it may actually be a negative thing.  Some literature to consider:   Timeless Secrets of Health and Rejuvenation by Andreas Moritz (pages 389-391) Five Standards for Safe Childbearing by David Stewart (page 438) Obstetric Ultrasound: Artistry in Practice by John C. Hubbin (page 155) Get me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the...
We are dirt poor and paying 3000 out of pocket for our midwife and homebirth.  Dirt.  Poor.  We shopped around for a midwife who can work with us on a payment plan that is doable for us.    I am not willing to compromise on my choice to deliver at home, if possible.  I feel like if you have a particular way that you would like to birth, that you should work toward making that happen.  For example, there may be expenses that you can cut out to make room.  Also, if you...
Ladies, sleeping has been absolutely terrible for me and I predict that it is only going to get worse.  Some advice or insight would be so helpful.  Here's the story:   Early in my pregnancy I had no trouble sleeping on my back or sides but around week 20 I woke up on my back in the night and I couldn't feel my arms or legs -- they were numb.  But worse than that, my anterior placenta was ACHING.  It felt really hard and sore.  I was so scared.  I rolled onto my left...
Thank you so much for starting this thread!  I am also anterior and, like scarykarry, I have been fighting off moments of anxiety or disappointment in not feeling the fetus move "enough."   Around week 19 I started to feel distinctive flutters but then, it would never be consistent or even daily.  Now that I am almost 22 weeks I do feel significant jabs and shifts on certain days and at certain times (mostly when I lay down to sleep), but there are still days when I...