or Connect

Posts by Elcie

Just chiming in ... While we never had a defined talk, like the other posters our discussions evolved over time, starting with how two cells create a little ball of cells. My kids knew all about the development of the baby in the womb before the conversation grew to include the "external" aspects, starting with basic mechanics and then the emotional component. (And I agree with the above poster that you have to put your own perspective into that.) Their questions led the...
My son broke his leg (at a younger than yours but also at a growth spurt) and he lagged physically for about six months after his cast was off. We revised his day camp plans as he wasn't able to keep up with kids his age at the beginning of summer, but was fine by the end. He also fatigued easily until his muscles rebuilt somewhat.
We do Santa in a minimal way -- it's fun! -- and let the kids "unbelieve" on their own. We don't do lists and the believer is allowed to ask Santa only for one thing. I agree with the posters that kids often take their belief wholeheartedly from other children. This is sort of where our Santa comes from -- he's a kids' culture Santa. It's such a brief time in childhood and I'm not eager to have my kids be the ones who tell the neighbors what's really up. We don't do...
I joined to contribute to the holiday Families In Need effort -- I was so impressed with how that was organized. (So I would have to check the "other" box on the poll :-) I didn't realize Mothering had migrated online until then. I used to pick up every print issue when my eldest son was born 14 years ago and was then grateful to find support for our non-circ decision.
We routinely have five+ hour car trips and here is something that helped: VERY comfy pillows to encourage a nap. For the DVD player, we found that Tom and Jerry cartoons worked well for our mult-age kids, mainly I think because there was no dialog to follow and the episodes were short. In our car the parents present the media, so it's my choice or nothing :-)  I pick things with short episodes (vs a movie) and even a picky kid will watch once it gets rolling. The Popular...
I find that intensely focusing on my kid(s) for short bursts also works well. Some ideas: My daughter (7) and I take 15 minutes to make cards and write notes to each other. I invested in several card games that are fast to play (eg "Blink") and also taught her how to play Gin Rummy, Spit and Crazy Eights. We like to make appetizer or dessert "platters" (cheese and veggies or quick bread and fruit cut up). She also likes to make lists with me. I took her on a brief...
How lovely that your older boy wants to share! If you have access to a trundle bed or toddler bed that might take up less space at first. My boys had a bunk bed (the older one got the top) and it definitely helped on space. Also, you can put a reading light up there for your older son -- if it won't bother your younger son -- so he can read or do a quiet activity while the little one sleeps. It might be helpful to not make the shared room your younger son's play area,...
Regarding Brownies: troop time would be a good opportunity to have the girls focus on activities related to the part of the GS law "Be a Sister to Every Girl Scout."  I think at this age you can still turn the peer pressure toward good behavior, especially if the ideas on how to show this bubbles up from the girls themselves. And this is behavior that Brownies should take beyond the "walls" of the meeting.   Good luck to you and your DD.
Are you in a place where you can grow some veggies?   While we haven't had a real garden since DS#2 was tiny, we had great success in the "eat your veggies" department with home grown green peppers and cherry tomatoes. These were "rescued" plants from the farmers' market and grew quite well in a little side plot. We plan to branch out this year to snow peas, beans and more peppers as the kids eagerly ate what they harvested. Eventually, I'll have a vegetable garden...
They're both so young, but I recommend lots of specific praise for DD1 when she does the right thing. Taking pictures of this can be a wonderful reinforcement. Let DD1 "overhear" you tell someone else how proud you were when she did...(fill in the blank) with/for her little sister. Also ask DD1 how you should include the toddler in your play. You can be very sympathetic toward DD1 when the little sister messes up her stuff, but the sympathy tilts away when she is...