or Connect

Posts by esinedeggplant

Definitely check out the Gathering Place. They have a very active Facebook page that will give you an idea of what they do. It's a maternity center with lots of services for moms and families with babies and very young children, but they are also sort of a community center for families/moms who are AP-minded and interested in natural living, etc, with support groups, meetups, yoga classes, etc.
@annejhanderson, if you are on Facebook, you can find the South Florida Babywearing Group  there as a group. It's pretty active with members in Miami-Dade and Broward. One of the main organizers/founders is Yuhfen Lin. They have periodic meetups, nature walks, etc. and Yuhfen teaches classes.
Hi, did you move here? Did you ever connect with anyone? There are a lot of AP-minded folks around, I think. On Meetup.com there's a group called something like Pregnant to Preschool Parents of Miami (for all kinds of parents) with lots of get-togethers and meetups for playdates, workouts in the park, crafts, etc. If you're on Facebook you can connect there with the South Florida Babywearing Group. And there is a great place called The Gathering Place just north of...
Here we're just keeping track of variable expenses, right?   11/07 -  Unbudgeted spending on lunch while at work 11/08 -  No spend 11/09   Groceries, $22 11/10 -  Dinner out, $21 11/11 -   Groceries, $17. Gas, $35. State park entrance donation, $1. 11/12 -    $4.50 for Starbucks while at work but it was semi-budgeted, parking at work $3 11/13 -  No spend 11/14 -  Un-budgeted spending - $11 for lunch out while at work 11/15 -  Groceries/pantry staples with extreme...
Thanks, guys. I've been sort of understating it maybe, but what if getting both people on board is not possible? I know it's important, even essential. But I think in my situation I have to accept that DH has not only a vastly different approach to money and spending, but major major issues that make a never-ending cycle of debt (incurred by him) very likely. We've worked on it together in the past and gotten in and out of his debt as a couple several times. Most of that...
Things I've done towards getting out of debt so far this week:   Spent more time thinking about a realistic budget for us Spent $40 on groceries (way less than usual) and ate at home for nearly all of the week Refreshed and updated my Mint account and realized how off track we've been! Sorted through bills and unopened mail and made preliminary list of debts/bills owed with account info, due dates, numbers, etc.   My next steps are to   1. Try to have a...
We are running out of groceries and I didn't plan well enough for lunches. Actually, I could have made myself an almond butter and jam sandwich to bring to work but I ran out of time in the AM. So both DH and I ended up paying for lunch out while at work today - I think we spent about $10-11 between us, which is not terrible.   We get paid tomorrow and...we didn't overdraft this week! Yay!  That's a sad marker of success but since losing my consulting/part-time gig in...
Last night we ended up eating out (about $21), unplanned. Today we ate at home all day and I did a planned grocery run at Aldi, $17, and filled up gas tank, $35. We also went to a state park for free for Veteran's Day, yay! $1 donation. I finally started using Mint again and realized I've been spending way more than I thought on groceries -- about $860 last month, YIKES! That does include pull-ups, toiletries, and a couple bulk purchases (like Costco bulk, not 25-lb bags...
Putting the whole $350 into debt makes sense to me, but no way would I reduce our EF to $1000, at least not unless it was for a true emergency! That doesn't even cover a month of rent where we live (and we are in a modest 2/2 in half of a duplex). We've been in debt with no EF before and having a little safety net is a huge relief. For various reasons if something drastic happened I really need that to be there. Now that I get the snowball idea - we are also still paying...
It's pretty low for a CC - 6% I think? I have to double check. I just realized DH also has a 1400 balance on a line of credit from a credit union...and massive student loans. (Those I did know about.)