or Connect

Posts by chenchen

The snacks I could possibly force myself to get past, but the unkindness in dealing with the children (and this while you're around to witness it) is too worrying. I would stand your ground with playdates at your house, or only at her house while you're present. The way I handled these things when DD was younger was through self-deprecating humor, : "Thank you so much for offering. You're so sweet! The thing is, I'm that helicopter parent who just can't let him go to...
Depending on the type of account you have with netflix, you can have one or more instant queues. The most basic package comes with only one queue so anytime you add something to it, it's mixed together with viewing opportunities for the entire family. But if you're willing to pay more, you can get additional queues. In that instance, when logged in as DD, you could add things to her queue that you have decided are appropriate. Things do sometimes come and go from...
Everything I wrote above notwithstanding, if I cancel very shortly before we're due to arrive, then it can be assumed that I am at a feverpitch for one reason or another. This means my change of plans would have been unexpected even to me!
I agree with this. Some people do as you do: rearrange their schedules to make time for the playdate, clean the house, prepare food, etc. Other people are more fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants types.I fall more into the second category. I am not going out of my way to make my house immaculate for a playdate. It is generally clean, but it will look lived in. I am probably serving light snacks, but short of making sure my fridge is not running on empty, I'm not doing any...
My response is less to the CPS "paranoia" (I think it will just take time for that to wear off - two pretty good scares will do that to a person) and more to the issue of DD1 setting educational goals for herself and then lacking the determination and/or extended interest to follow through. I think another poster hit on it that she is asking in her way for you to help her balance her field of knowledge with her peers. It seems as though it is starting to reach a point at...
Love the longest cake idea! In lieu of goody bags, you could make mini Books of World Records to send them home with. Pages could have ideas like highest tree climber, longest rope jumper, etc, and a place to record their family's winners.
This has been a fluid thing for us over the years.  We started out very strict about this simply because we didn't see any need to introduce sugar foods and drinks when she was a toddler.  When she went to preschool, she was introduced to juice, and we had to adjust to her having that or be THOSE PARENTS.  Still at home, we never bought junk foods.  As she has aged, her access to them through social situations has increased - parties, holiday gatherings (there seems to...
I think this answer works great, as long as you are willing to follow through and allow her to go topless if she wants to.  We did until about age 6, in the backyard, with friends at the beach, etc.  But around that age, the other kids started to comment on the sexual aspect of nudity.  "Oooooooh!  I can see your boobies!" or "OMG, you're naked!!!"  And at that point, rather than explain the sexuality of female breasts, I opted for a shirt-on policy.  Just yesterday, my...
Thank you, moms.  My default approach matches AllisonR's.  "I don't understand.  Try again in another voice.  I don't understand."  It's just so draining!  I was hoping for a magic cure!  :P   Mostly, whining is their way of expressing dissatisfaction.  Often times, as Luckiestgirl points out, there is a valid complaint in there that I would happily address (so-and-so won't let me have a turn, so-and-so is being mean, etc) but when they come at me whining I have no...
Whining is truly my achilles tendon. I cannot cope! I shut down and resort to meanness. I must make it stop at all costs. Nails on the chalkboard to the Nth degree. I am keeping my sister's children for the summer, and two of them (7 and 8 years old) whine endlessly. I am at my wit's end. What have you done successfully to eliminate whining?