or Connect

Posts by chenchen

Well, yes and no. I DO think it's too young to expect the six year old to be able to adequately set boundaries and then to ensure that they are adhered to independently. But I think it is a very good age to move from modeling that behavior (which this mom has probably been doing since they were much younger) into coaching that behavior. I don't at all believe that it will be a hands-off approach for the mom. She will have to have the initial talks with her boys about...
[quote name="Just1More" url="/community/t/1354645/need-help-handling-social-interactions/0_50#post_   If we invite over just one other family, we frequently have 8 or more children ages 10 and under.  It's just too many when the adults are trying to socialize, too.  Inviting over two or three families that we know puts us at 20 or so kids, depending on the family.  Thinking about it more, that's like having a whole kindergarden class without a teacher.  It seems great when...
It sounds to me like less of a bullying situation (wherein the perpetrator genuinely knows what he's doing and is attempting to wield power in a dictatorial way) and more of a situation where a child really does not know how to respond appropriately in a social group. I don't think I would personally go the route of ostracizing him or warning my child to never play with him. I think that solution models a lack of compassion. I would privately have a chat with my own two...
Actually, I've had the priveledge of seeing quite a bit of nursing in fine art. When DC was 20mos old, we were fortunate enough to be able to take a family vacation to Italy. DC was still nursing a lot at the time. When we went into museums, her favorite things to point out in art were animals and nursing babes. There were more than I would ever have noticed on my own. I can't even begin to give you names of pieces as most everything we saw is a blur of 'awesome art',...
I agree with those who say that you did not overstate things. Yes, you scared her, but a legitimate scare now and then as an outgrowth of real experiences is part of learning to exist in the world. She has to learn to cope with fear as much as she needs to learn about the legitimate dangers in the world. I think at this point, I wouldn't bring it up again, except in response to her initiation of the topic. And then I would talk about how feeling scared doesn't feel...
I agree with the PP. This information is meant to empower parents, not have them live in fear. Visit the familywatchdog website, and find more information including the person's photo, date of conviction, and actual crime. A quarter mile doesn't seem like an especially threatening distance, but then I live in a fairly populated area. I am not one to bow to pressure from others, but in this case where the primal instinct to protect is concerned, I think I would want to...
I also agree.If I were the party host, I would definitely feel backed into a corner. Saying no would feel rude to me, so I would say yes but be privately annoyed.We like to invite the whole family when we have birthday parties, and we try to be really clear in the wording of the invitation. On one occasion, we were not able to due to limited space, and indicated as much. Everyone was fine with this. I think if the party invitation was addressed to one child (especially...
I don't find that four is an odd age for allowing drop-offs at a party if the parent and attendee are so inclined, but I do find it to be a very inappropriate age to REQUIRE drop-off only. Many, many four year olds (and/or their parents) simply aren't ready for this. I actually find the invitation with a drop-off requirement rude. Depending on how importance attendance seems to DC, I would either decline or call to explain that DC really wants to attend but isn't ready...
We have a boy one.  The genitalia is a complete non-issue.  Daughter never so much as commented on it.  I will say that it is far from her favorite doll to play with because it has a hard plastic body, which makes it not exactly cuddly.  We use preemie baby clothes with it, but 99 times out of a hundred, it's in the pile and she has one with a cloth body and plastic head/arms/feet instead.  To that end, if I'd paid a lot for it, I'd have been disappointed that it wasn't...
I would respond conversationally, "Ya know, people always think that, but once you're a mom you know that gender doesn't matter at all.  Each of these four is a unique treasure."  The "once you're a mom" bit could seem snarky if the person of a certain age and gender, so you could replace it with "I find."  "Ya know, people always think that, but I find that gender doesn't really matter at all.  Each of these four is a unique treasure."