or Connect

Posts by candiland

JUST SAY NO!!! Your body, your baby, your birth. 42 weeks isn't even irregular or actually even "overdue" - in fact, when womens' bodies are left to their own devices, 42 weeks is pretty normal. But with all this induction craze, suddenly what is completely normal has become pathological. Think about it - it wasn't until quite recently in human history that so many womens' bodies seemed to begin "malfunctioning" all at once. We don't even know what is normal anymore...
An acquaintance of mine entered the hospital in labor, both she and her husband reeking of pot (he grew top strain marijuana - the very very stinky kind - and apparently they had a puff on their way to the hospital). I'm not sure if the powers that be took temporary custody or not - I can't remember, unfortunately. I do remember that she was not allowed to breastfeed because she had drugs in her system. I guess smelling like pot gave them cause to test her and...
is your dc circ'ed?
Good morning! : Ya know, one of the "chores" I despise the most is going through clothes and closets and things. And you're actually organizing the clothes into totes by size - holy cow! I've never been that organized, lol! Today I have to start moving smaller things from my townhouse to my bf's townhouse. My lease is up on Nov. 1st, but that whole weekend is dedicated to a rehearsal dinner, Halloween, then an actual wedding that I am in. So I actually need to get...
Holy cow, Erin. I just feel bad posting this story because there are moms out there who may actually NEED a cesarean. However, that being said, the WHO claims a healthy cesarean rate - a rate at which cesareans are required to save the life of mother and/or baby - should only be at about the 7 - 10% range. We are now approaching a 25-30% c-section rate nationally! If cesareans were only used when they are actually needed - and when I say "needed", I do not include...
Warning: you may not want to read this as it could be triggering for those who have undergone or who are planning to undergo a cesarean birth: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/10/10...thy/index.html I hope that, in some ways, this story may highlight that c-sections are not the simple "birth choice" many providers make them out to be.
You don't need an ultrasound unless you want one. I would highly recommend you find some kind, caring out-of-hospital midwives. They will give you real information and choices and not treat you like a pregnant piece of meat.
It sounds to me like Uncle B has some hidden urges of his own..... that even HE isn't fully aware of.
Thanks so much for all the varied responses and replies. They all hold so much insight... so much to think about, really. One of the many reasons I :heart: MDC. No, I cannot imagine putting my kids in a place where they feel like second class citizens. But I'm wondering if that would be *my* feeling on it or if that's what their reality would actually be, kwim? Like if I had a roommate. I wouldn't expect my roommate to care for my kids for...
Well, it's sort of hard to explain, but I'll try. The kids like him a lot. He likes the kids. It's not like he ignores them or is mean to them or anything. Once in a while, he will take them to the movies or the store or something without me. But these are his limits. He is an intensely private kind of guy. He's the department chair of literary arts at a local magnet high school, and when his day is over, his day is done. Meaning, he just wants to sort of...