or Connect

Posts by kavamamakava

I have found that my children really do understand that different people do things in different ways. Like I let them walk and jump on the couch and their grandparents (both sets) freak out when they see them do it and tell them to stop. Even in our own home. So they understand that they just don't do that when the grandparents are around but they can do it when it's just us at home. Your children will know that the grandparents are not you and will develop their own...
Oh no! Are you worried that they won't leave him alone if you leave him in the room crying for a minute or so? Can you just give him milkies, read a book, hug n kiss and then leave without them rushing in? It's ok to do it your way. You said that if they cuddle with him and then leave it will be harder on all of you. But you are doing something that's really hard for all of you now. So both of those options sound wrong for you and your son. Stand strong and do what feels...
You were probably upset because your little one was having a rough time too :( It would be nice if they ILs were supportive :( 
Haha you are not going to change their minds. Ever. They likely think they do it the best way and might even be judging you that your way isn't as good. You really don't need to convince them since they won't be having more kids anyway, right? Just tell them what you are doing and leave it at that. "Little One is exhausted and can't fall asleep with me near right now so I'm going to see if crying for a few minutes will help him decompress and fall asleep." And then walk...
I can already tell this thread is going to be difficult to read with a lot of culture bashing.  As a non-Indian raised in Indian culture, I have an outsiders view and can maybe explain some of this. Or I can try to generalize a bit but of course India is a huge country with hundreds of different cultures and languages. For the most part, Indian grandparents spoil their grandchildren. You are the parent and are expected to set limits and they are the grandparents and...
The Rainbow Fish makes me sad that the fish had to give up who he was to fit in. 
http://www.amazon.com/Nursing-Your-Baby-Karen-Pryor/dp/006056069X/ref=la_B000APTQLE_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1345662169&sr=1-5   Nursing Your Baby by Karen and Gale Pryor was a perfect book for me. It covered everything I could think of with up-to-date research.  It's not a fancy or cutesy book but it was like my breastfeeding bible. I never had a question about breastfeeding that wasnt' answered to my satisfaction in that book. With my 3 children, I practiced child-led...
There is a problem with malpractice insurance rates. They are so much higher for midwives, in some states, than they are even for doctors. 
I am so proud of my clean stove and clean sink. OMG they are shiny! But please don't look at my living room. It's littered with paper bits from making snowflakes and I can't vacuum because there are legos all over the floor and they'll get sucked up or clog the vacuum cleaner. When the kids get home I'll probably stand over them and be really annoying and naggy while they pick them up.  My kids are 6,8,and 10 and we have a chore chart but it's only for little things like...
I have had three homebirths and a different midwife attended each one. The midwife who made the most impact on our lives is Roxanne (yes she assisted legally, no I did not contact her to ask her permission to share her last name on mothering.com as she is no longer a practicing midwife). Her wisdom and support have inspired me, 8 years later, to pursue a career in midwifery. She never intruded, never took control. She encouraged me to moo rather than squeal. She brushed...