or Connect

Posts by KathrynH

Aufilia - Thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate the value in the sensorial and practical life works, and I want DS to have developmentally appropriate exposure to them. However, I'd also like for him to have developmentally appropriate exposure to math and language works as well... but what's developmentally appropriate for him may be somewhat outside the norm. Math is where his interests lie right now, and I feel like a true "follow the child" approach would take...
Beautiful!
I posted the following in the Montessori forum, but thought I might get good input here too...   DS3 has been attending a local Montessori school for a little over a month. He has adjusted very well and seems to like the  environment. He is a happy, introverted three year old, who happens to be a precocious reader (about 1st grade level with pretty good comprehension) and is obsessed with numbers.    I have requested a parent-teacher conference to ask more questions...
DS3 has been attending a local Montessori school for a little over a month. He has adjusted very well and seems to like the  environment. He is a happy, introverted three year old, who happens to be a precocious reader (about 1st grade level with pretty good comprehension) and is obsessed with numbers.    I have requested a parent-teacher conference to ask more questions about his typical day. I'm wondering how he's doing socially, what works he's gravitating toward,...
I'm not a homeschooler, so I don't have any BTDT experience... but I am an elementary math and science teacher. If you do decide that extending horizontally rather than vertically is the best option for your family here are some ideas from my playbook. (Actually I think they'd be fun even if you choose to accelerate, but I'm a math and science nerd!)   MATH - The Critical Thinking Co. (http://www.criticalthinking.com) has some great materials that incorporate math...
We've had a great 2013 in our house! DS went from diapers to the potty, from recognizing random words to reading fluently, from counting up to 30 to counting backwards from 200 by 10s... it's amazing to me. Just when I think he's slowing down, he has a new breakthrough.    We've made the painful/exciting decision to change DS3's schooling situation in February. Our current preschool is wonderful, but I'm not sure if it's the best thing for him going forward. We found a...
I apologize if my comment sounded flippant. We've actually explored many dietary irritants and have not eaten gluten in over a year because of his GI issues (which did have an effect on his sleep, but the issue is obviously far from resolved). Because we've spent so much time on his diet, I was eliminating this a theory. I suppose I skipped over the extent to which we have monkeyed with his diet for brevity's sake.
Thanks for the reply Miranda! He deals with chronic constipation, so yes encopresis is a concern. And sometimes the stools are very loose, consistent with encopresis. (Sometimes they are not.) But I would think if that was the issue the accidents would "surprise" him. He has reverted to going to a corner, behind a chair, or under a table when he's about to poop in his pants. (This is what he did when he was younger, but he would also announce, "I need some privacy! I'm...
DS turned 3 almost 2 months ago and has been using the potty consistently for about 4 1/2 months. He has some GI issues, which would cause accidents from time to time, but generally he was having <1 accident per week. Unfortunately things have gone downhill over the past few weeks. He has pooped in his underwear multiple times at school (earlier this week he did it twice in one day!). A few days ago when I tried to talk to him about it, he said, "My teacher wants me to...
We're currently looking at preschools for our DS. My favorite questions so far have been:   - What do you do with students who are ahead academically... say a kid that comes in reading or counting past 100? (I like to give specific examples for reading and math, to make it clear what "ahead" means to me, but I try not to go on and on about DS.)   - What if that isn't enough?    I try to keep my questions as open-ended as possible. I want them to do most of the...