or Connect

Posts by KathrynH

Thanks so much for all the replies so far!   I'm a big believer in spending time in nature as well. I'm sure that he's not getting as much of it as he did in the summer, so that may play a role in this! We're actually going camping this weekend. It's only one night (that's all I think I can handle with a 3 year old at this point) but we should be spending A LOT of time outdoors... hiking, playing, etc. It will be interesting to see if that has an effect.   I'm going to...
Like many gifted kids, my DS has always had "sleep issues." He seems to need less sleep than other kids his age, and at 3 he's still waking several times each night. I'm an elementary teacher, so we were home together over the summer. It seems to me that his sleep was much improved during this time (although still outside the "norm"), but now that he's back in preschool 5 days a week we're back to where we were.   This change could be due to any number of factors, but...
As a teacher, this thread is so disappointing, but it's also very common.    All students should have an opportunity to learn in all subject areas. It doesn't matter if a child's social and direction following skills are somewhat behind; they should still be learning math. In fact I would argue that they have a need to progress in math, as well as other subject areas. Differentiation is difficult, but it is the teacher's job to meet the needs of his/her students....
Just before 2 1/2 my son became concerned about the big bad wolf, often asking if the wolf was in our dining room. I got a lot of advice to "chase the wolf out" or to use some magic "wolf spray" to rid our house of the wolf. A lot of people have told me that such methods worked for them, but I felt like this would only exacerbate the problem for us because it would confirm for my son that the wolf was real. When he would say, "What's that noise? I think it's the wolf. Turn...
When I was young, my dad had a job that often required him to be away from home overnight. In fact there were two periods in which he lived away from us for several months for work. This was back in the late 80s and he had an old orange screen laptop that ran DOS. Sometimes he would pull it out and let me play with it, which I loved. Looking back on my childhood, I've never once thought, "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time on that old laptop." But I have often thought, "I...
My DS just turned 3 and still wakes several times each night. We are VERY consistent with his schedule, but he still only gets a maximum of 10 hours at night ( typically sleeps around 9 hours with several wakings). Here's what has been helpful for us... - A consistent schedule - We offer food at the same times every day, and turn off the lights at the same time every night. - Cutting out gluten - My son and I both have suffered through digestive issues. We were never...
We're almost TV-free (maybe one 5 to 15 minute video every 6 to 8 weeks) so I don't have a ton of suggestions, but I have discovered Guess How Much I Love You. It's based on a book by the same name. No violence, no whining, no overly dramatic reactions. We were able to find it online, but it may be on Netflix as well. I ran across the title on the Common Sense Media Website which has lots of great age appropriate suggestions...   http://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-lists
My 2 1/2 year old DS has had issues with constipation since around 2 months of age (when he was exclusively breastfeed). It's apparently genetic because I suffer from similar extreme issues. In November we went gluten free and things have gotten much better. However recently he has experienced what we thought was diarrhea. It turns out he's impacted and poop has been leaking around the impaction, or at leat that's the GI's current theory. We're on the 3rd day of a colon...
This really, really, really sounds like dyslexia to me. Please don't rule it out simply because she is a "strong reader." I work with many children who are dyslexic, but are above grade level in reading. Children who are dyslexic do not understand the relationship between sounds and letters, however they may be able to memorize whole words by shape.  Many gifted dyslexics have this ability, but are unable to decode nonsense words or spell words they can easily...
Thanks for your thoughts Emilysmama! I can see how bringing facts and figures to a meeting with the director might put her on the defensive. I'll try to sit down and talk with the director and see what her thoughts on the matter are. I'm encouraged to hear that you were able to work things out for your family!