or Connect

Posts by KathrynH

We have been looking at PK3 programs for my son. I have very personal experience with the school that we are leaning toward, and although I love it, I am concerned about the amount of time the students spend watching tv/movies and using computers/iPads.    Students arrive at 7:30 but cannot go to down to the classroom until 7:45. They spend this 15 minutes watching cartoons. In the classroom they watch movies and TV shows close to holidays (The Story of Rudolph, The...
Congratulations on the birth of your new baby! Breastfeeding can be challenging, even when everything goes well, but it is also very rewarding. I had many questions when I first began nursing, and I found the following resources to be the biggest help:   1. La Leche League meetings - I encourage you to revisit the site when it is working again. This was such a wonderful community of support for me. No one in my immediate circle had breastfed for very long, if at all....
My 22 month old has always been obsessed with books. Kids like different things (as do parents), so it's hard to say what yours might like. I agree with the PP who suggested taking a few trips to the library with your toddler first before you start making any investments.   Here are just a few of our favorites broken down into categories...   NON-FICTION      Two Eyes, a Nose, and a Mouth by Roberta Grobel Intrater      Lots of Feelings by Shelley Rotner  ...
We have vaccinated our 20 month old DS on schedule. Before I had done any research, I assumed that we would likely do selective/delayed vaccinations. However, once I looked at the issues more deeply, I realized vaccinating on-schedule made more sense to me. Initially I was worried about exposure to various ingredients and adverse side effects.   In the end it just became a numbers game. What is the probability of contracting one of the diseases in question? How...
I hope you didn't take my post to mean that you were actually being "lazy or difficult!" I was simply trying to emphasize that open communication with teachers helps keep them from creating incorrect labels. It sounds as if you have been very communicative up until this point, and it has resulted in cooperation from the teacher. Good luck to you!
I am a teacher myself, and I'd suggest talking to the 3rd grade teacher before meeting with the principal. No one likes feeling as if someone is going over their head. I'm sure the teacher would have a better outlook if he/she feels like you are working with him/her rather than around him/her.    Even if you get some kind of "mandate" from the principal that is to last the rest of your child's elementary schooling, you need to talk to the individual teachers so they...
My DS has never been enthralled by stuffed animals, but he might go for it now that he doesn't have his fingers to fall back on. I'll hand him one tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea!
My 19 month old has always been an avid finger sucker (index and middle on right hand). He sucks them when he's upset, when he's thinking hard, when he's in an unfamiliar situation, and when he goes to sleep. I'd say he sucks them about 50% of the time.    Last week we went through a terrible case of Hand Foot and Mouth. His fingers blistered terribly. They became swollen and cracked. He would point to them and say "Oww!" Not crying or whining, just matter of fact....
Our DS is sick often and practically quits eating when he feels bad, so we give him Poly-vi-sol with iron to keep him from becoming anemic. It has 100% RDI of vitamin A, however I know that many kids hate the taste. In your case I might recommend staying away from supplements (personally, I'd rather rely on a healthy diet). Vitamin A can be tricky & overdosing can be toxic. Theoretically you can't OD on beta carotene (one form of vitamin A), so maybe you could try adding...
Thank you so much. I'm looking it up right now. DS has woken up at 3:30 AM multiple times this week. And to be clear - I don't mean he was up for a few hours and went back to sleep. I mean he woke up like we had a rooster in our bedroom. He's never been a good sleeper, but this is awful!