or Connect

Posts by KathrynH

There are companies that sell cages, but you could easily make one yourself - bonus activity! I've seen homemade cages made of plywood frames wrapped in a fine mesh. Make sure you have mesh on the top too so your caterpillar has something to hang from while making it's chrysalis (I prop up long hefty sticks for the same purpose). The most important thing is to have a plant your caterpillar will eat. Some caterpillars are very finicky (e.g., monarchs will only eat milkweed).
Sorry to forum crash - I'm not a homeschooler. However, I used to take care of kids over the summer and I was constantly looking for home learning experiences. Here's some of the things we would do...   - Cooking - I'd let the kids read the recipe with me. Then they would measure out the ingredients and help me prepare it.    - Gardening - I didn't have an actual garden. We just planted some seeds in pots on the back deck and took care of them. It's also fun to...
Sometimes there is an actual problem with the pump and it will need maintenance. However, whenever I noticed I was pumping less, we would boil my flanges and membranes. I think you're supposed to do this once per week, but we typically only had time to wash them with warm soapy water. It relly enhances the suction! I've also had to replace worn out membranes. Good luck!
    1. It will get easier, but having support helps.    2. We went through a period of cluster feeding for about a month when I started back to work. DS would want to nurse 45 minutes out of every hour in the evenings from 5 to 8. If I had know this was common, I would not have been alarmed and frustrated. I thought he wasn't getting enough milk. Many of my friends have had similar experiences.   3. One of the most common reasons new mamas stop breastfeeding...
Great point! I hadn't thought of that outcome.
Thanks so much for your response Crunchy Mommy. DS doesn't typically mind when I smear food on his mouth. He often finds it quite funny. We didn't go the baby-led weaning route, but have tried to be very aware of his cues when it comes to solids. However, with his illnesses it got to the point that he was going into ketosis very often. I could smell the acetone on his berth and I knew he was burning body fat. I know it hurts to chew and swallow when he has an ear...
Our DS is almost 17 months. He has had numerous ear infections (8 I think) and other illnesses. Right before Thanksgiving he had tubes put in. We've had a couple of ear infections, but we've also had a few weeks of him being well.   Because he refuses to eat when he's sick, we've been in and out of the 1st percentile. Over Christmas his doctor recommended that we begin whole milk and Pediasure to put a little weight on him. I began the whole milk (he's still nursing...
This is so interesting! It's funny how different we all are!   Things we didn't need...   crib - well, at least not for the first 6 months. We used a Pack N' Play with a newborn insert. I'd say hold off on the crib. It's easier in the beginning to have the LO in the room with you at night. You might end up co-sleeping and never need a crib, but the Pack N' Play is nice for naps. play gym - We barely used this. It's so easily replaced by a soft blanket on...
Oversupply or forceful let-down sounds possible. I'm not an expert, however, so maybe you could schedule a visit with a lactation consultant in your area.    As far as "overeating" goes, everything I've ever read says a breastfed baby will not overeat. (However, I was also told an EBF baby cannot get constipated, which I found to be false. Beware of statements that deal in absolutes.) Even if it is possible, I would think it is VERY rare. If you are still worried...
DS is 16 months and we still nurse in public. It's fairly rare, however, because he doesn't nurse as much during the day anymore. We haven't run into any opposition yet, but I know many out there have.    I was wondering when others stopped nursing in public, if ever.