or Connect

Posts by KathrynH

I want to be clear - Taking care of a child while under the influence is NEVER okay. Leaving your child with someone whom you suspect might be under the influence is NEVER okay. To do so is to knowingly put a child in potential harm. What if an emergency occurred and he had to drive her to the hospital? What if he passed out and a fire started? I could go on and on with potential scenarios, but I don't think it's needed.   Your partner chose smoking pot over the...
I don't have a preschooler, but I do work with them...     1. The indoor sandbox is a great idea. You can fill a shallow tub with with rice, uncooked pasta, packing peanuts, shredded paper, gravel (although this can be noisy), dry beans, etc. Give DC some measuring cups, some handheld gardening tools, and some things to hide (shells, nuts, or whatever). I swear some kids could do this forever.   2. Lightbright   3. A "car wash" for dirty cars. Put a bowl of...
Putting thoughts on paper can be a difficult skill for many children. Although they may be able to verbalize what they think, writing it down does not always come as easily. For reading comprehension-   1. Writing a letter to the author that includes comments and questions about the work can show comprehension.   2. Writing an alternate ending to a story can be fun. You could read The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Lane Smith as an example. Then read...
One of my favorite books is How ot Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk. (I've actually taught a class on it.) There are a couple of wonderful chapters about praise. The book  has exercises to help you figure out how to better handle real-life situations. It focuses a lot on giving specific comments that might not feel like praise to you, but are much more helpful to a child than, "Good job!" I highly recommend it. It reads a little hokey at first, but I...
Have you looked at wholesomebabyfood.com or wholesometoddlerfood.com? Great ideas!

At 10 months our DS ate little bits of this and that. We were trying to get him to eat more finger foods, because we knew when he began daycare shortly after 11 months he would need to self feed. He liked broccoli florets, sweet potato "fries", corn, soft steamed carrots, tofu, pinto beans, black beans, eggs, strawberries, quartered grapes, mango, rotini pasta, etc. We also cut up pieces of bread, muffin, or pancakes for him. I continued to spoon feed DS plain yogurt...
I feel your pain! Whenever our DS is teething or sick he wakes up after 45 min. to 1 hour of sleep. It's difficult, but if we can get him back down, he will generally stay asleep for a few hours.    I totally agree with this statement. While I believe co-sleeping works best for some, it doesn't work well for everyone. We were unable to co-sleep early on because I am what I call an "oblivious sleeper." (I've rolled over on our dogs more than once. Luckily they were able...
It is NOT reasonable for a 2 week old baby to be separated from his mother. After DS was born, I was upset when I felt like other family members were not letting me hold him enough. (It wasn't due to any bad intentions on the part of others, they were just excited to hold him too.)     I agree that it is best to keep things amicable with the father, but I hope this can be done without separation.
I had a very positive hospital birth with a doula attending. Our birth doula made a big difference in the birthing process. She worked well with our doctor and helped ensure that we were making decisions that were consistent with our birth plan. After 42 1/2 hours I made the choice to have an epidural, but thanks to our doula I was informed enough to ask for a "light" epidural. I could feel all of my contractions as well as the massaging and warm compresses that my doula...