or Connect

Posts by The Hidden Life

It was a nice break but we are ready to get back to homeschooling this fall! Actually we've already started doing some online classwork afterschool that we'll add to over the summer and fall. My three girls were back in public school this year after two years' homeschooling but we are definitely headed back to hs fulltime. I was all ready to pull them out after Christmas break, but my DH is the less-impulsive one and wanted them to finish out the year--even though he was...
Our $40 knife block set from Target has lasted 15 years and still kicking with some occasional maintenance. We used to take the carving knive to the meat department at the grocery store to have it sharpened once a year, but now my husband does the same thing in his shop. Yes, they are a little dinged after fifteen years' use, but I think we've gotten our money's worth out of them. LOL It is the Michael Graves set with black handles and a light-stained wooden block--for...
Well, shoot, that must have been disappointing. I wouldn't want to sit and be grilled like I was defending my master's thesis about my life either. Hope your next presentation goes better! What was terrible about the frugality talk I went to: 1) I don't think the presenter gave any new information that I haven't heard elsewhere 2) her delivery style was very dry and appearance was very frazzled/frumpy--an organization "expert" should look the part, you...
Ah, that makes more sense; you are moving. Your plan sounds like a good one. Happy sewing!
All our Christmas stuff is stored in two larger plastic tubs and two shallow plastic tubs. Big tub #1: five strands of lights, stockings, electric candle thingy for window, stuffed Santa doll, "The Night Before Christmas" book, tree skirt, table runner, etc. Anything bulky and not really breakable. Big tub #2: Advent wreath, Nativity sets Shallow tub #1: family ornaments, sorted into ziploc bags of who owns them. The breakable ones are wrapped in tissue paper....
It's kind of odd that a church group doesn't want to hear about the spiritual aspect of simplicity, isn't it? I would want to hear about Luke 3:11 and how I can apply that to my life. (John the Baptist said, "Let him that has two tunics give to him that has none. And let him that has food do likewise.") I went to practically the *worst* organization/frugality presentation today, so I can tell you a lot about what I wouldn't want to hear, having just heard it!...
Reducing material goods is my passion right now. Why am I doing it? To make my life simpler. To have less to clean. To have more space to do other things, new projects. To have more visual peace. To like my house more. To become more detached from the world and more attached to God (there's a lofty goal, eh?).
Is it just guilt that you have so much? Or that you want space? Or that you feel like these aren't the right toys? I like Waldorf dolls as much as the next crunchy mama but why get rid of all your child's plastic dolls just to acquire a new Waldorf doll and make a bunch of clothes? Why not just keep one or two plastic dolls that your child already loves and plays with? Unless they were *all* obnoxious talking, peeing/pooping, battery-driven toys, I wouldn't give away...
We have 8 place settings of Corelle in the cupboard for our family of six, plus four more settings in the box in case we break one or have a lot of guests (not very often). We use every dish, every single day. I like it because it forces me to do the dishes right away so there are plates and cups for the next meal and it keeps my counter clear. Although theoretically we could reduce to only six place settings, I like having the extra plates for small serving dishes, a...
Tons and tons of 75% off Xmas stuff at the local Target and the store was really empty. Also about ten or twelve racks in the women's dept of clothing 50-75% off. I the only thing I bought was a nice black dress that I got for $7.48! Fits great. If stuff doesn't sell at 75% off will they go to 90%? Or remove it and resell it to Big Lots or something similar? Even at 90% off, there was nothing I wanted. I did look for a tree topper but didn't find anything I liked.