or Connect

Posts by OtherSoul

I was eating a strict paleo diet before pregnancy but to be honest, I really prefer vegetarianism.  :-/  It sits better with my heart.  I like veganism too and was a hardcore vegan for 4 years but there is no doubt that I need at least some animal products in my diet because I don't convert beta carotene (in plants) to usable vitamin A in my body.  So I've been taking cod liver oil for that and then otherwise staying gluten-free vegetarian because it feels better plus it's...
I am hoping this dog we're gonna be fostering and maybe adopting works out for us. He's 4 years old, 25 pounds and reportably amazing with young kids. We were even told he would be a good candidate for a service dog, which if it works out I'm totally going to do since I qualify. We're getting him tomorrow so we'll see! A bit nervous but excited. :-)
My priority right now is gluten free. I just hate what gluten does to me so that's the only thing I'm being strict on, that and organic only. Other then that I've been doing a mostly vegetarian diet with lots of kale, broccoli, loads of quinoa, potatoes, beans, goat cheese and eggs. Fruit when I desire it, and green smoothies. I'm still doing fermented cod liver oil because I had a D and A deficiency before pregnancy and see no reason to stop taking it since I feel...
I'm enjoying reading ladies...just want to say I look up to you all!   I often think about what it would be like to not only have a big family but be pregnant with so many kids!   I find your collective experiences really interesting.     I am exhausted this pregnancy with my one toddler...do you ladies feel extra super tired with so many children and being pregnant or do you just adjust through the years and pregnancies to cope better with the exhaustion?  How do you...
So psyched!  This happened with my son too around the exact same time, but I thought I wouldn't be so lucky as I know it's super early to feel a kick from the outside!  (I'm 16 weeks 4 days) But tonight lil baby is definitely making me feel its presence, and I felt it bopping me from the inside and when I put my hand down there I got several BIG kicks, felt from the outside with my hand!   It's going crazy in there tonight!  I have had nonstop movement for several hours...
Apparently this dog has never faced a hardship in his life...he is being fostered right now with a nice family on the other side of the island so his temperment is well known.   The shelter worker asked us if we would like to foster him for 1-2 weeks before choosing to adopt him and that sounds like a great idea to me.  That way we can see how we all fit together with a new dog before committing all the way.     I'm very impressed with this shelter...they are way off the...
I woke up this morning feeling kind of discouraged and down about the whole dog thing.  Then my husband surprised me, he is super determined to bring a dog into this family now, lol.  It makes me feel good to have him so fired up about it...he says he wants a jogging companion.  It shows me he will really help with the upkeep of an additional family member.  He's generally super helpful about things.      Anyway, we found this one shelter that accepts dogs from people...
Anyway, unless I find the perfect companion I probably won't be getting a dog.  :-/
 I do want opinions and even opposing opinions, but done in a thoughtful way...like listing the cons of getting a dog before having a baby would be better recieved then being psycho-analyzed on what you think about my "issues" based on a venting post I made in another thread.    I'm open to criticism to the idea of getting a dog, but what you said felt like you were criticizing ME and I did not like that.  
At this point I'm keeping my eye out for a small to medium dog...most of the dogs here are pit-mixes and quite large so no guarantee I will even find a dog for our family anytime soon.   There are some jack russell mixes but I haven't heard many good things about jack russells and kids so will probably not go that direction.  I've also been looking for breeders of breeds known to be good with kids, but living on an isolated island there aren't many options.     Honestly...