or Connect

Posts by levar

My son is just 9 yrs old, but last week we had our first 'date' where I took him to dinner (I drove, I paid) but HE was other-wise 'in charge' and picked the restraunt, opened doors, held my chair, etc. While we were there (with 'Dining Room Crystal & China' Manners) we had a little chit-chat about hormones and 'the crazys' and how boys about his age start to act 'like a boy', etc etc. Then, that weekend, his Dad took him camping with 2 other Dad-Sons and they came home...
If it's not too late, start asking around to others with dogs to see if they can watch your dog, then you watch theirs later, etc. We had 2 cats and 2 dogs, now down to 1 dog. We left the cats home alone, or had a neighbor check on them if time was long. We've had family house-sit, we've had friends house-sit, we've had family and friends dog-sit, and we've used kennels. Depends on the situation. For 3-6 week trips there is NO way we can afford a kennel, so we ask family...
One idea that has helped me alot (sort of like the FlyLady sink, but really, a sink is not my style?) is: I set up a VERY serious rule about my living room (admitedly I have a family room too, thank goodness) and I clean and dust and 'perfectly place' every darn thing in that room. I took chairs and lined them up blocking the entryway so there is only a small walk space to get in the room. NOW my RULE is that the living room is ALWAYS clean. Period. NO exceptions. So...
My Son is like this. My Sister was too as a child. We've sort of just split the difference when we can. For arts-n-crafts I usually try to come up with an idea that is "close" that he can do. For example he absolutly refused to draw ANYTHING until we taught him to draw a circle with a squiggly line and called it a balloon. And he wouldnt color at all until we got him those Color Wonder books. Etc. For getting dressed I got one of those week day hanging cubbies for...
I wear mine 24x7x365. I can't get them off easily. I have a ring dish (one of those weird things with the finger) for when I am doing heavy cleaning without gloves, but mostly I wear gloves. I used to be "what ever" about it until my best friend lost a diamond in her band and put the ring aside to repair and forgot where she put it... for over a year!! Basically her Mom and I helped her litterally tear the house apart to find it... it had fallen through a crack in the...
My son and his friends used to re-enact the animal rescues from Go Deigo Go. And the rescues from Rescue Heroes. I'd pack a water bottle and "map" in a back pack and send them to opposite sides of the yard. After a few minutes, they'd just get going with their own imaginations.
I bought padded underwear and character underwear a size larger. My son wore 2 pair of padded underwear, then padded underwear under regular underwear for about 2 years! I just carried extra padded undies wherever we went along with pants. ALOT of quick changes, but seemed to go well. I really really LOVED the padded underwear even at night when he was transitioning out of pullups. In fact, he finds them so comfy (and comforting?) that it was only this Summer (7 yrs old)...
I'd like to join your club too!! I was SAH the last 5 years while PT trying to start a cake business. That flopped so I am finally going back to work FT in SW Dev/QA. I have been "seriously" looking only for about 2 weeks, and YIKES is it alot of work!! Not to mention, going back to work after SAH, I am having trouble resigning myself to working 9-10hr days with a 2hr commute AND having to do the housework. Boo Hoo. My son *is* in 2nd grade now though and becoming very...
I schedule my time like a job ... a To Do list of errands and the time to do it, and then STOP "working" [sort of like a five 'o clock whistle] ... and schedule "sit" time and "play" time too!! Works most days, but not all of course. And for some reason Summer seems to fly by and Winter seems to drag on endlessly?! Arrg! I also do think that "little kid" time flys by faster than "big kid" time and "good" days faster than "bad" days, which is really unfair?! Oh, and,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Amys1st Maybe you can have your sitter come by for a few hours and watch your kids while you are in the background doing something. : I'd second this idea!! This is what I did too. I have gone through quite a few sitters already over the years and I ALWAYS have them over few a few hours while I am home the first time or two. Not only does it help me but it helps THEM too! I remember as a kid starting to baby sit...