or Connect

Posts by mauricemcfadden

Hi Itsajenism,   Yes, my very verbal son who has trouble with reading/writing/spelling does have sensory issues.  He puts his hands over his ears whenever we are anywhere loud.  At loud, busy places he sometimes gets overwhelmed at asks to go home.  It could certainly be totally different with your son, but my son has been diagnosed with Aspergers.  It might be something to consider.    If your son is having sensory problem and problems with writing, I would...
My son was the same way.  He was a verbal rock star, but had a ton of problems with writing, reading, and spelling.  We eventually decided to have him tested because he seemed to bright to us and had such wonderful ideas and could grasp scientific ideas so easily but was struggling with school work.  He tested verbally gifted, but his non-verbal was WAY lower.  Further testing should that he has learning disabilities.  We resisted testing for a year, but are now so happy...
Ok, guys, hit me with some books that would be good for me to read to help me understand all of this.   Also, we took my son out of first grade toward the end of last year to homeschool him cause school wasn't going well and the (private) school was no help.  Would public school be a good idea to help him with his social skills?  Is homeschool is a good idea because I can really help him in the areas where he needs extra help academically?  Thoughts?  Currently, he...
After months of waiting, today was evaluation day for my son.  The diagnosis is Aspergers.  Not quite sure how I feel about it yet.  I am somewhat relieved to have my concerns about him validated.  I guess I am somewhat sad for him that this means life is going to be more challenging for him.  But, I have been somewhat expected that diagnosis, so it wasn't a total shock, yet it still was.  I still have that nagging feeling that maybe this wouldn't have happened if I...
He does take *much* longer than his peers to complete his work.  His teacher said that with some papers it was taking him 4x as long :( On the WISC, his processing speed score was in the 9th percentile and his working memory test was in the 68th percentile.  He had a span test scores from 99.6th to 5th percentile...crazy!   His school told us that they don't believe that he is smart, telling us that "all parents think their first born is smart".  Yes, they did have...
RJ11,   Just wanted to reply concerning the bike issues.  My son is in OT for low tone, poor motor planning, fine/gross motor delays.    But, he has been successfully riding a two-wheel bike since he was 4!  Have you ever heard of a balance bike?  I would strongly suggest you get one for your child.  It teaches them balance, where a traditional bike with training wheels does not.  It is a bike with no pedals and then just sit on the seat like a normal bike and...
I go back and forth on a near daily basis between thinking my son is 2e or gifted and quirky.  Yep, it's hard to tell.  He's going to be evaluated, but I'm not convinced that if he was evaluated 10 times we'd get the same results each time.
  My son sounds very similar to your daughter.  He just turned seven and is in the first grade.  Although my son is smart, he was struggling in school and the school didn't seem to realize 1) just how smart he is and 2) how much he was struggling.   So, we had him tested.  His verbal IQ put him about the 99th percentile, but his processing speed was at the 9th percentile.  He also struggles with fine, gross motor and coordination.    We found that we were...
  Thanks for posting HarperRose!  I always enjoy reading what you have to say.
  Hmmm, is this supposed to be a link to somewhere?  If so, it isn't working.  I'd like to read it :)